Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a stock LR 3.54 differential be modified to make it limited-slip?

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Can a stock LR 3.54 differential be modified to make it limited-slip?
A lot of potential for misunderstanding here, and based on the way the question was asked, just wanted to make sure you are clear that..

• The stock 'differential' cannot be modified to make it a limited slip, it needs to be replaced..
  • The 'third member'(or differential carrier) can be modified to create a limited slip differential assembly by installing any number of limited slip or locking differentials (as noted above) in it..
  • The stock 3.54 Ratio Ring and Pinion set can be used with most if not all of these differential options..

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, Scott.

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
If you buy new, get the Ashcroft ATB.

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Red90 - Have to pick your brain on that. Why the Ashcroft versus the Trutrac?

I should also mention that my off-road use will be fairly limited. My 90 is primarily going to be a fun driver with some off road use for hunting/fishing...nothing too extreme at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
It uses a better designed and is about the same cost. They also have great service and warranty support. Eaton has none.

If you can find a used one, a Truetrac is fine, but if buying new, you might as well get the better one.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Ashcroft was cheaper when I was looking and had much better reviews. Solid device

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm on the Ashcroft bandwagon. However, the rear third just came off and it has a trutrac in it (I guess I got half lucky...no Ashcroft, but at least it had something). So if the existing trutrac is in good shape and fits the new diff. I'm going with the trutrac for now.

Nonetheless, appreciate the recommendation for what to go with in the future!

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Might want to save the money if you aren't going to be doing much off roading. I have kept up with fully locked trucks in the past with my open diffs with little problem.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I've been running a TruTrac for over 15 years - its been in three different vehicles (Discovery 1. RRC, D-90) and its never had an issue. I don't do the hard core rock crawling but I've been through most of Tellico, all of Beasley Knob and all of Uwharrie along with many other off road excursions. The Trutrac performs very well for what you describe your needs are. Its a good unit. I have no experience with the Ashcroft but the Trutrac should suit you very well.

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luis & Flipped - I agree that I really don't NEED the LSD. However, I was swapping thirds anyway, and in the process we found a surprise trutrac in the in the old diff. that we took off. So I figured what the hell, put it in the new one. It's only costing me what I could have sold it for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts