Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to wire money to my business partner in Italy to buy a very nice looking frame on restored 89 110 LHD with 200 tdi, I figured we would convert it back to 19J and ship it. I checked the vin before wiring the money, turns out its originally a RHD, seller didn't care to mention and my Italian partner never considered such an issue. My italian partner is a licensed car dealer and quite frankly had I not checked the vin online or had not known of the vin decoder, I would have trusted my Italian dealer friend's experience in buying a vehicle with the right documents. I would be looking at a customs seizure in Norfolk in a month. Just heads up to anyone thinking of importing, just because its not in the UK and its left hand drive, you can't trust that its a factory left hand drive and don't count on the seller to tell you.

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
I run every single truck I ship through it. I'd suggest that is just prudent business. After 25 plus years the provenance of these trucks is seldom known.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run every single truck I ship through it. I'd suggest that is just prudent business. After 25 plus years the provenance of these trucks is seldom known.
In the past I have bought directly from sellers and was always extra careful. This time I thought it would be easier with a local contact to avoid language barriers. I let my guard down, my partner even wired a deposit out of his own pocket, luckily he was able to reverse a wire transfer. In the end it cost 17 euros in bank fees:)

80's LHD 110's are rare and I think anyone looking at one should be careful, this is the truck in case anyone here is tempted by it.

X immediato realizzo Defender 110 9 posti Auto usata - In vendita Varese

·
Premium Member
7,363 Posts
The CalVIN sometimes is not accurate. If the truck is Special Vehicles I'd go with the Heritage Motor Centre information.

The 127 Rapier I was going to buy last year showed in CalVIN as a 1989 and the Heritage Motor Centre showed as 1990 manufactured date.

The truck probably sat at the SV barn for a few month before getting stretched and was not offical until completed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see it not being accurate in manufacture year as it really is a range of two years, 1989-90, 1988-89 etc but it wouldn't be wrong about rhd and lhd.

·
Premium Member
7,363 Posts
I can see it not being accurate in manufacture year as it really is a range of two years, 1989-90, 1988-89 etc but it wouldn't be wrong about rhd and lhd.
True

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Newer VINs will also show build date in microcat, if you happen to have access to it somehow, but I'm not sure exactly what model year that started. It's pretty consistent even with older VINs for showing LHD vs RHD, which engine, etc. You can even search by the number plate on some later Land Rovers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts