Defender Source Forum banner

Bypass Park/Neutral Safety switch - 92 RRC Motor/HP22

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  carlosz 
#1 ·
as it says - anyway to bypass this to get the code to clear, my gear selector does not have a PNSS on it?
The motor is from a 92 RRC 3.9 with a HP22 auto.

can I ground out the lead on the engine harness?

From RAVE...

Park/Neutral Position Switch (PNPS)

The ECM uses this information on transmission gear selection to determine correct positioning

of the Idle Air Control (IACV) valve. A diagnostic trouble code (69 [14CUX only]) is set when

sensor voltage is 5 V during cranking or 0 V with RPM above 2663 and MAFS voltage above 3

V.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully, this link works

#4 ·
I guess you may have a manual transmission versus an automatic. such is the case there is a signal wire as stated in the rave, which you ground if you have manual trans. I believe it is position 34 orange black at engine ecu. this is the gear selector signal. if I remember correctly it's operation is very simple on- off, or park "on" out of park "off". all other signals such as neutral and reverse are located on the shifter it self.

#6 ·
update to my response, I have disected page 22 of 95 range rover classic in the rave. Orange Black wire out of ecu connector slot #34 becomes yellow black pin #9 at connector c105.
at end of c105 you should install a 480 ohm resistor to ground if using manual and or bypassing safety switch. my guess is you could forgo looking for c105 and just install the resistor right outside of the 14 cux ecu connector.
C105 is a multipin connector near the brake master cylinder.
Further correction, on the wiring diagram for the 92 model year the safety wire in question seems to be slot #11 YW "yellow white stripe" at engine ecu, this manual which I have on scanned prints is quite vague and does not mention a resistor. rather the print shows a ground header.
sorry I have those old pages on an xp laptop with out email and or internet capability on purpose, as I have lost this info more than once. times like this makes me want to be able to connect and email and copy/paste and send so end user could study further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.