Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Have a fondness for Santanas and have worked on many, even done full engine conversions.
Also lobbied hard for a online place for Santanas.
I do not agree with the first video by Paul that contains a lot of incorrect info.
There was a progression of Spanish built parts that replaced the UK Solihull built components that took place long before the 2500.
This was glossed over and the only thing Paul mentioned was the fact that the Santana seats were different.
A very good example of where Paul was wrong is the Spanish built roof and rear door that appeared on late IIA and Series III Santanas. The door is flat at the back instead of curved like the Solihull built door and the Spanish roof is flat while the Soluhull one is curved for the British built door.
As time went on the differences are seen even in the hubs and differentials and the Series III dash is again different.
The hinges, door handles, petal boxes, steering wheel, accelerator linkages, and so on.
So the second period that Paul talks about had a lot of differences that he incorrectly said were the same.
And finally we all know that the Series IV was very different.
Paul's leaf spring example was bad because it didn't take into account that Santana springs were parabolic and quite different to the ones built by Solihull. In fact I use to buy Santana parabolic springs from TI Console in Holland and fit them to Series IIA and III Solihull Land Rovers back in the 1980s because they were superior in every way.
Paul's video did not clear up anything because he tried to put dividers among 3 distinctly different Santana period vehicles that doesn't exist, when there were actually only 2 periods.
The period when Santana built CKD kits, and the period when pre packaged CKD ended when Santana started manufacturing there own components at an ever increasing percentage until production ended when Santana was manufacturing a very high percentage of the Santana components.
I would guess that it was an amount like 80% when Santana production ended.
Also Paul would have you believe the Santana 5 speed that was used in the 2500 is the same as the LT85 used in 1985 - 1990 V8 Defenders.
The only thing the 2 transmissions have in common is that they were both manufactured in Spain.
The gearing, belhousings, first motion shafts and shifters are different on the ones I have seen.
They have to be, because they are in different vehicles. bolted to different engines.
Paul may not have been aware of these differences, but to present himself as an authority on the subject and then gloss over all the differences clearly shows that he didn't do any real fact finding before he made the video.
"In most cases the Solihull part will fit and in rare cases where it doesn't fit, it is easily adapted" - I call bullshit on that statement.

In any event, just don't want anyone to be mislead by Paul's video and hope Santana owners will continue to post here and share their knowledge and experiences.
Even though your vehicles can be very different depending on when they were manufactured, In my opinion you are all welcome here with open arms (yeah it sounds corny, but I mean it).

Reactions: Candyo and terryjm1

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Why do people rebuild them to look like a Defender? They seem interesting the way they are.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, lol, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Wouldn’t argue with Robert about this, though.

Personally, on my 1988 Santana 2500, I can attest the new rear door I purchased as listed for a D90, the new Puma doors I got from Safari HP, the D90 bonnet, the D90 front fenders, inner and outer D90 raptor binnacle, and D90 speedometer (must use D90 speedo cable) all bolt right in. Clutch slave cylinder, I’m not 100% certain, but believe it was the same part number as a V8 D90. My 300TDI starter also fits the Santana engine. Those are the only parts I have confirmed by actually fitting them in place. I measured the mounting points for a 200TDI and have seen it installed In another Santana. Mine is like the white one in the video. Note the rounded rear door top and windshield, like the D90.

Axles and brakes are absolutely completely different. Seats are indeed totally different. Defender seats fit nicely but you need the seat tracks and have to drill new holes to mount them.

Electrical system is completely different, Hella, not Lucas.

Oh, I also bought some D90 headlight panels I haven’t tried to fit yet but they measure out like they will.

I was planning to source new gaskets and seals for the LT85. But, I have sourced a really low mileage LT77 from another forum member. It’s going to be a while but I expect I will try to fit it in with the 200TDI. I will still give it a go with the gaskets and seals in the LT85. I will see if the V8 stuff fits. The LT85 still works great but leaks from pretty much everywhere. I will also take a hard look at the transfer case side by side with some spares I have.

i only have the one and have no first hand knowledge of any other Santana. Ive been pleasantly surprised what does fit.

I’ll be retiring / changing careers next year giving me a lot more time to dig into what does and doesn’t fit and will post up about it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why do people rebuild them to look like a Defender? They seem interesting the way they are.
At first, I wanted it to look like a D90. But the Santana look grew on me. Now, with one headlight trim panel broken and two of the Santana signal lights broken, it is for more practical reasons. The Santana appearance stuff, to my knowledge is either expensive or unavailable. The D90 stuff is mostly cheap and quite available.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Want to correct myself on the slave cylinder. It is the same as an LT77 equipped D90/110. The master cylinder is the same as Series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts