Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 110 2-door soft top
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a WTB ad for Wolf wheels. Almost immediately I was contacted by 2 different forum members who directed me to contact a 3rd party via email. I emailed them both and they had wheels for sale. Both responses I got threw up a lot of red flags - poor grammar, and vague or no answers to questions. One big red flag was one guy offered to sell me 4 for $250 shipped from CA (I'm in SC) and this was before he knew I was across the country! The biggest red flag was all the pictures were of brand new wheels taken from a UK website. A quick Google search confirmed that.

Evidently, this is a thing. What I've read on other forums is they try to get you to pay via PayPal friends & family, which has no protection against fraud like normal sales transactions do.

Mods - if you want the names of the "accomplices" PM me.

I looked to see if this info was a sticky anywhere but didn't see it. Maybe it should be.

BTW, I did get a couple legit PMs.

·
Premium Member
Land Rover - All Models
85 Posts
I posted a WTB ad for Wolf wheels. Almost immediately I was contacted by 2 different forum members who directed me to contact a 3rd party via email. I emailed them both and they had wheels for sale. Both responses I got threw up a lot of red flags - poor grammar, and vague or no answers to questions. One big red flag was one guy offered to sell me 4 for $250 shipped from CA (I'm in SC) and this was before he knew I was across the country! The biggest red flag was all the pictures were of brand new wheels taken from a UK website. A quick Google search confirmed that.

Evidently, this is a thing. What I've read on other forums is they try to get you to pay via PayPal friends & family, which has no protection against fraud like normal sales transactions do.

Mods - if you want the names of the "accomplices" PM me.

I looked to see if this info was a sticky anywhere but didn't see it. Maybe it should be.

BTW, I did get a couple legit PMs.
Wow, that's crazy.
It is true though, once you pay with PP friends/family, you will never see that money.
If paying with paypal, you can request seller to send you PP invoice.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, that's crazy.
It is true though, once you pay with PP friends/family, you will never see that money.
If paying with paypal, you can request seller to send you PP invoice.
True, PP payment F&F you have no recourse. Correct, you can request an invoice only if NOT paying by F&F.

·
Super Moderator
12,651 Posts
If you ever receive a sketchy PM, click on the Report button at the bottom right. This send a copy of the PM to the moderators and we can ban the guy.

Always look into the member history. Make sure that they are real before sending any money.

·
Premium Member
1997 NAS ST
826 Posts
I've had the same thing happen. Watch out for Simon Cowell who can slash his prices 90% just by asking!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts