Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I'm simply missing something in front of my face or not. How do you get a tool inside the cavity of the rear crossmember to hold the nuts on the bumperette and mud flap bolts? Is a stubby wrench needed? In through the side seems obvious, but cannot fit a tool in between the body, even if all the mud was cleaned out. The inside opening is quite small to angle in a wrench, then try to fit it to the nut.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Not sure what someone has done, but the bolts are supposed to be long and go through both walls of the crossmember. The stock bolts are BH110141L, which means M10 x 70 mm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Oh, Looking at your pictures, those are not genuine bumperettes, so who knows. The proper ones are shorter on the outside to match the height of the crossmember.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, Looking at your pictures, those are not genuine bumperettes, so who knows. The proper ones are shorter on the outside to match the height of the crossmember.
Thanks for the info. Not terribly surprised though, likely the PO slapped them on to cover some minor damage where both outer sides of the crossmember are slightly bent in. You can see on the one photo how the top of the crossmember is buckled a bit. Likely new crossmember next winter followed by straight tub panels and corner cappings. For now ill have to try and remove these hopefully without destroying anything.

Are these maybe from a military spec version or something with square crossmember?

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
From what I can tell they were a military bumperette for series trucks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you try turning the bolt head that is on the outside? If the PO used those to cover up a previous repair, maybe those bolts are just threaded into the rear crossmember without a backing nut.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you try turning the bolt head that is on the outside? If the PO used those to cover up a previous repair, maybe those bolts are just threaded into the rear crossmember without a backing nut.
yeah, that was my hope that they were just half ass threaded in, but after a few turns nothing seamed to be loosening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts