Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some googling but have admittedly not submitted all my info to Britpart to "find a dealer."

Does anyone know if Britpart parts are available in the US?

I have the option of paying the VAT and cheap delivery within the EU (and thenc arting them with me on a flight to the US), or shipping to the US from Britpart dealers in the UK... the cost for which far outweighs the cost of paying the VAT in Europe (for what I want to get).

Anyway, enough of that - are there Brtipart dealers in the US?

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
Britpart and Allmakes are the dominant players in the market, through the regular vendors, Roversnorth, atlantic british L8 etc. Other non rover dedicated parts portals include online retailers rockauto and amazon

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
I don’t know the answer but want to warn you for the bad quality of their parts. I don’t think any professional and serious Land Rover shop uses their parts anymore.

Recently ended up with some of their parts again; Door seals an inch to short, leaking fuel line, window washer to short, fuel pump lasting three months etc, etc.

I can only say, Google and do your research before you buy any of their stuf

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
I recently bought some "genuine" (with the G at the end of the catalog number) pan hard rod bushings from Atlantic British and they shipped me Brit Part and told me they were OEM. I am still pissed at that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Britpart and Allmakes are the dominant players in the market, through the regular vendors, Roversnorth, atlantic british L8 etc. Other non rover dedicated parts portals include online retailers rockauto and amazon
Excellent, thanks, will take a look to see how their selection and prices match up. I'm still not in the habit of checking Amazon... need to get into that habit, I guess.

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2018 11:10 AM ------

I don’t know the answer but want to warn you for the bad quality of their parts. I don’t think any professional and serious Land Rover shop uses their parts anymore.

Recently ended up with some of their parts again; Door seals an inch to short, leaking fuel line, window washer to short, fuel pump lasting three months etc, etc.

I can only say, Google and do your research before you buy any of their stuf
Damn, that's unfortunate. I remember Lucas wiring in the 1970s.... we were living in the Cotswolds and my mother went into Gloucester to buy a car; she was looking at one of the British Leyland marks but the salesperson couldn't get it started (new, on the lot). She walked across the street and bought a Ford Capri. Would have hoped that British auto parts manufacturers had come some way since then, but a door seal that's an inch too short?

Having said all that, I just want to get a rear door card. Maybe some seat kits... maybe those are ok.

·
Super Moderator
13,911 Posts
It is cheaper to buy parts from UK suppliers. The reason to use US vendors is convenience for delivery and returns.

I recently bought some "genuine" (with the G at the end of the catalog number) pan hard rod bushings from Atlantic British and they shipped me Brit Part and told me they were OEM. I am still pissed at that.
Britpart sell many OEM parts in their own packaging. It is still just as much OEM as any other supplier.

Things have changed a lot in recent years. After they went to a standard two year warranty, the parts quality is much better. Return rates have really dropped. I don't see any difference between the other big wholesalers (Bearmach and Allmakes) and their no-name parts and BP customer service is better. Always get OEM when you can. For many parts, there are no good options. There are a lot of crappy genuine parts these days.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given all my research... if there's any consensus that Exmoor seats are better than Britpart (that's what I seem to read on this forum), then it appears that buying Exmoor kits from the distributor in the USA is probably a better and easier deal in the end than somehow acquiring Britpart seat kits in the US.

Unfortunately they don't have rear door liners.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Given all my research... if there's any consensus that Exmoor seats are better than Britpart (that's what I seem to read on this forum), then it appears that buying Exmoor kits from the distributor in the USA is probably a better and easier deal in the end than somehow acquiring Britpart seat kits in the US.

Unfortunately they don't have rear door liners.
FWIW, I've had great luck so far with Ukar Auto (in Virginia, on eBay) and Bearmach. They stock almost all small parts and are very reasonable.

Bearmach direct has amazing Shipping policy and good prices. Quality is likely similar to britpart or all makes, but has longer warranty and have not let me down yet.

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
Britpart distributes some great stuff, such as their seats which appear to be from the original manufacturer (Lear). They also distribute some cheap junk, so like John pointed out always select “OEM” if there is the option. But keep in mind what OEM means. It’s not necessarily from the same manufacturer as the genuine LR part, but it does come from a major manufacturer. For example, rather than Lucas a Britpart OEM windscreen wiper timer relay is Hella, which may actually be better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was comparing prices for brake hydraulics for my 2A 109. All new brake master, wheel cylinders and rubber lines.

After competitively shopping around USA, Ebay and UK parts houses. I found ordering all the parts directly from Bearmach in the UK was cheaper than anywhere else. Even with shipping to the US.

Even with the higher shipping from UK to USA it was still cheaper than all USA based companies. Here's the real kicker. I ordered it on Monday and received the parts Thursday. That's super fast from the UK.

I'll continue buying from the UK since they're cheaper and faster shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
I’m always amazed at the speed parts can arrive from the UK. Often overnight via DHL. But not always. My last order from the UK was sent as part of a large consolidation with other parcels and it was detained for over a month in customs for reasons unknown. That was Britcar’s USPS option that is handled by Transglobal Express.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've done some googling but have admittedly not submitted all my info to Britpart to "find a dealer."

Does anyone know if Britpart parts are available in the US?

I have the option of paying the VAT and cheap delivery within the EU (and thenc arting them with me on a flight to the US), or shipping to the US from Britpart dealers in the UK... the cost for which far outweighs the cost of paying the VAT in Europe (for what I want to get).

Anyway, enough of that - are there Brtipart dealers in the US?
Britpart will refer you to their US supplier, Lucky 8 LLC.
I haven't purchased anything from them. I usually purchase my stuff from LRdirect. The only bad part about their site is you generally need to know the part number. With a good part number, it will return OEM, Allmakes, Britpart, and Bearmach parts, and you can choose the brand you like (britpart is almost always the cheapest.) Even on Bearmach brand parts, they are about 50/50 on pricing with Bearmach direct.

I'd like to find a good US supplier, but they all seem to have too much of a markup. LRdirect offers optional same day shipment and DHL that arrives in 3 days or less, so I'll stick with them and an occasional ebay item for the time being. LRDirect also has some of the best pricing I've seen on Terrafirma as well.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I’m always amazed at the speed parts can arrive from the UK. Often overnight via DHL.
Seriously. The last couple of orders I've gotten from MUD UK have gotten here in a week after ordering, and I'm in a small town on the West Coast. Amazing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good to know I have ordered from bearmach and I’m in Cali so cal got my parts in 3 days ����

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Old phrase,
You get what you pay for,
I'll buy,knock off's from seller's for easy to get at repairs but will only buy Genuine parts for the buried things that aren't wished to do again.
& yep
Some parts suppliers US based obviously Mark up huge and order like you could from UK. Because of this I'll stick with Roverfarm.

Unfortunately some US suppliers printed their ink on parts catalog when the £ was at $1.98 vs the price today.
Most LR people realize this and choose to purchase from UK where the exchange rate and shipping is still more affordable than buying from US sellers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm very happy with LRdirect. I've ordered many thousands of dollars worth of parts from them and always had great quality and very fast shipping.

I've ordered parts from Lucky8, waited a few days... ordered a different part from LRdirect and received it before the Lucky8 part came in.

I once e-mailed Lucky8 with a question about a ridiculous price they had for something, I really wanted to give them a shot. I asked them about price matching or some discount on the part if I ordered from them. Their only reply was, "You want us to price match a part from the UK?".

If I can get the part from the UK faster and cheaper than I can get the part from a US based seller, why the hell would I use a local seller?

The only US based seller I have found worth a damn is Trevor at Rovahfarm. He can get the parts to me fairly quickly.

My go-to order is: RovahFarm -> LRdirect -> Atlantic British -> Rovers North.

Here's a spreadsheet I made when rebuilding the GEMS v8 in my Disco 1.

For the entire order from LRdirect, the shipping was $79.

I ordered the headgasket kit from Lucky8 and got a shipping notification 10 days after my order. It took 3 days to get my parts from LRdirect.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Totally Agree with xathor,Trevor at Roverfarm.
Another deal breaker for US based sellers, ink was printed when the £ was 1.78, the $ is now stronger making purchases abroad a better deal,even with shipping.
And the US based seller's still keep nothing in inventory, just order like we the buyer's do when parts are needed, 2 week delay for the container to arrive.
Think about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts