Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Britpart disc handbrake conversion? The Terrafirma one seems to be out of stock everywhere and I’ve read some bad reviews of the X-Eng kit.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
If you look at the RH side of that main (gold coloured) bracket, you'll see the X-eng logo cut into it.

I suspect $hitpart just sell on the x-eng stuff. I've never had issues with X... they're a million times better than $hitpart IMO

·
Registered
1990 ROW 110
453 Posts
Does look a bit different and I’m a bit inclined to try it.

I accidentally left my X Engineering handbrake on and it bound up my whole system when I released it. I made a few errors, 1 leaving engaged and 2 releasing it while going downhill, I was moving slow in low gear.I think the pressure built up threw if for a whack. I’ve rebuilt it twice and some reason or another a mile down the road it bounds all up again.

I’m interested in trying another system if anyone has any reviews.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's less expensive to buy all new parts for a stock direct-cable actuated drum brake than these aftermarket options. This later style drum brake, when correctly adjusted, works great.

·
Super Moderator
14,153 Posts
It's less expensive to buy all new parts for a stock direct-cable actuated drum brake than these aftermarket options. This later style drum brake, when correctly adjusted, works great.
Just like the older style works perfectly. There is really zero reason to install a disc. People do it because they are too lazy to take an hour of their lives to overhaul the drum style.

Reactions: Z.G

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just like the older style works perfectly. There is really zero reason to install a disc. People do it because they are too lazy to take an hour of their lives to overhaul the drum style.
Yes the older style can work well too if the linkage is right. The advantage of the later direct cable style is simplicity in that it has less moving parts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I put in the X not because the original did not function well, but because it froze on me out on a trip. I was lucky to have a torch handy but did not enjoy warming it up in 8 degree weather (yes, on me that I used it in cold, but I want to be able to use the brake while I’m sleeping in a RTT)

·
Premium Member
14,168 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put in the X not because the original did not function well, but because it froze on me out on a trip. I was lucky to have a torch handy but did not enjoy warming it up in 8 degree weather (yes, on me that I used it in cold, but I want to be able to use the brake while I’m sleeping in a RTT)
I had the same thing happen to me. Mine froze up to the point that it was smoking out in the middle of the Ocala National Forest in Florida. I had to take it apart to free it up and it took a couple hours to cool down. I have since installed the X-brake and its a lot easier for me to understand and work on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts