Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
looks like a good idea, it is the type of starter modern big diesel machinery uses, indeed the reduction makes the engine spin faster specially on cold days.

Reactions: terryjm1

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Terry, I got him to do a tdi stater years ago, with the feedback I gave him it should be a straightforward fit now. Boy the price has gone up a bit since then.

Reactions: terryjm1

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
I got one of Robert Davis’ starters, it’s awesome so far.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The starters I use in my Rover V8s from British Starters have been truly excellent. Now over 20 years of service on one of them. If their diesel ones are the same, I cant go wrong.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had very good feedback comments via PM. So, I bought one via ebay today. Had a 10% off ebay coupon and brought the cost with shipping to about $300. Says it is made in the US and comes with a lifetime warranty. I expect to have it here and install it by the weekend. I’ll report back on how it goes. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update

I received the starter 3 days after ordering. Unfortunately, the plastic connector intended to seal / secure the connection to the solenoid was broken in shipping. I emailed the vendor and they offered to send another starter right out immedaiately with only the request to return the damaged one at their expense. Literally, no questions asked and would cover shipping. I really wanted to get the truck back on the road so I asked if they would just send a replacement connector as everything else on the starter was fine and the starter would function fine. Stock starter doesn’t have this extra connector. Their answer was, no problem.

The starter works fantastic and spins the engine much faster, faster even than the OE style 3.1 KW one I had that failed after 3 days and 10 starts. I am very impressed with the starter and vendor. Highly recommended and worth a little extra money. Again, lifetime warranty from a decades old company.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I recently installed on of these on my 3.5 V8 and it’s awesome. No more worrying about getting home. Interested to see how it works in the winter cold, but it seems to spin up VERY fast. Loving the lifetime warranty. Highly recommended and Customer service was fantastic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought one of these for a 200tdi and unfortunaltely it failed miserably. It was a disaster trying to use the "life time" warranty. After a few months of them ignoring my phone calls I finally got my money back. I also noticed it is no longer for sale on their website.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Update: :confused:They're not responding to my emails.

So much for the Lifetime Starter Warranty (& so much for my hundreds of dollars spent having someone fish for & collect all of its disintegrated pieces, which they required in order to "honor" the warranty - lol).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far so good with mine. However, I 100% will not buy another one if they don’t make it right for you. Thanks for reporting back.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I recently installed on of these on my 3.5 V8 and it’s awesome. No more worrying about getting home. Interested to see how it works in the winter cold, but it seems to spin up VERY fast. Loving the lifetime warranty. Highly recommended and Customer service was fantastic.
I just ordered one of these and noticed that the design is different from what I'm used to and removed. It's missing the 'half dome' covering the open end (opposite the flywheel). Is this OK or am I missing something? I'm not used to a starter being fully exposed.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered one of these and noticed that the design is different from what I'm used to and removed. It's missing the 'half dome' covering the open end (opposite the flywheel). Is this OK or am I missing something? I'm not used to a starter being fully exposed.
That is how they are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts