Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Genuine curiosity here: why would a Gen 1 Disco brake servo/MC be an upgrade to an original config?

I just had my MC crap out on me and thought I'd go with a TuffStuff MC/Servo, but ended up ordering a TRW replacement instead (TuffStuff is too expensive in Canada). I figured, original one served well since 1993, hopefully I'll get the same mileage out of this one too.
My thread on the MC/Servo subject here:
https://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154194&referrerid=15874

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the specifics. Maybe someone can chime in.

All I know is that I have heard on multiple occasions that the D1 servo is a pretty easy upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Kent, are you finding the brakes inadequate? Guessing your rig is still drum in the back? I wouldn't think that your truck is any heavier than a stock 109.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, drums in the rear. It's like the truck has no power brakes right now, which I assume is due to the vacuum leak. If the repair is required anyways, I figured I would put the bigger booster in, as long as it was a direct swap (like I've heard), and wasnt too expensive or difficult to do. Unless what I have heard elsewhere in this forum is wrong, and the D1 servo will make no difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts
Genuine curiosity here: why would a Gen 1 Disco brake servo/MC be an upgrade to an original config?
They are a double diaphragm 8" servo. The Defender uses a single diaphragm 10". This means the Disco is around 30% larger.

They are not a direct bolt on as I understand it. The bolt pattern is different and the fork connection to the pedal is different. I have not looked at it myself, but that is what I've read.

If you have an original servo from 1985, the later ones (1991+) are quite a bit larger. I've not sure if they work with the older masters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I put one into my frankenrover 2a. Bolt pattern is different but it's ok because you need to space it out a bit from the pedal box anyway so you can make an adapter plate to space it and adapt the bolt pattern. I just pinched the forks to fit them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts