Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Researching what it takes to put a hood mounted spare tire on a ROW D90. Do you guys suggest installing the riveted conversion kit, or getting the entire ex mod hood that has the brackets welded in place? Some pics for reference.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is more than one type of bonnet and mount.
Whatever you do, don't drop it. Seen a few bent ones. Idk if checker plating helps, but it may.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Mounting the spare on the bonnet becomes a pain in many ways and should be avoided if possible.

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
I have the rivet/ bolt on kit . Works fine even for a 100lb tire. I've swapped the front spare to the rear and only use the front when carrying 2 spares.

Overhead pressing a 100lb tire on a guillotine like hood , isn't fun.

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
Don’t do it until you’ve put a few miles in a truck that has a hood mounted spare.
it may be “cool”, but it’s practically, it’s got too many downsides to recommend it.

·
Registered
1988 Defender 110 - FFR
281 Posts
"it may be “cool”, but it’s practically, it’s got too many downsides to recommend it."

This statement encompasses my entire experience of owning/driving a 110...

To get back on topic, I love my bonnet mount spare! (And almost all of the other impractical downsides of my Rover.)

IMHO riveting it would be better since finding a good condition Ex-MOD bonnet is unlikely. mine and most were beat up in their years of service.

My experience in refurbishing my bonnet was that the thick checker plating helps but it didn't fit the contours too well (possibly because it was beat up from years in service)
and the threaded portion of the four bumpers the rim sits on (instruction #9 in your data above) were barely long enough to go through all of the hood components AND the checker plating.

Overall, I'm FOR it! Mount that spare and post pictures!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is more than one type of bonnet and mount.
Whatever you do, don't drop it. Seen a few bent ones. Idk if checker plating helps, but it may.
Researching what it takes to put a hood mounted spare tire on a ROW D90. Do you guys suggest installing the riveted conversion kit, or getting the entire ex mod hood that has the brackets welded in place? Some pics for reference.
View attachment 463545 View attachment 463546 View attachment 463547 View attachment 463548 View attachment 463549 View attachment 463550 View attachment 463551
View attachment 463545 View attachment 463546 View attachment 463547 View attachment 463548 View attachment 463549 View attachment 463550 View attachment 463551
I live on a ranch and have a ROW D90 with the bonnet mounted bolt on mount. As others have said, it makes the hood very heavy to lift. Make sure you replace the scissor type holder with the solid 1 piece heavy duty one. It also produces some interesting steering issues at speed. Overall I have mixed feelings about it and run with the spares bonnet mounted only when I need 2 spares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts