Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so with several hundred miles on this (used) engine it seems to have two symptoms which make me think I have a problem. First is it seems down on power; it struggles to get to 60 on the highway.
Second is a huge amount of pressure under the valve cover. So much so that it is literally blowing engine oil out from under the gasket all the way around. I even have the vent hose pointing to the road so it doesn't fill my intercooler with oil.
It doesn't seem to be smoking at the tailpipe excessively .
Am I on track for a ring job or what?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I have the same issue with mine only it doesn't seem down on power. Maybe because I've upped the fueling/boost and have a full width intercooler, straight through exhaust etc. I've checked the breather and it's clear and I've replaced the valve cover gasket a few times. I figure rings are the only logical explanation.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not smokey

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
Do a leak down test (air line into each cylinder with valves closed). It is pretty common to get a head gasket leak into the push rods area on #4. The leak down test will tell you pretty quick if it is a head gasket or rings.

There should be no noticeable pressure in the valve cover when things are good.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I do recall it took some time to get up to speed when I test drove it. That engine was a known quantity and running well when Neil had it in his 110. I rode in it with him on various occasions and there was no indication of problems, though it was a leaky mess which I attributed to the rear main seal.Of course that was all some years ago now. Did you do anything in the way of reconditioning the motor? Sounds like at least a compression test is in order.

Full disclosure, I sold Bill the engine.

OK so with several hundred miles on this (used) engine it seems to have two symptoms which make me think I have a problem. First is it seems down on power; it struggles to get to 60 on the highway.
Second is a huge amount of pressure under the valve cover. So much so that it is literally blowing engine oil out from under the gasket all the way around. I even have the vent hose pointing to the road so it doesn't fill my intercooler with oil.
It doesn't seem to be smoking at the tailpipe excessively .
Am I on track for a ring job or what?

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeh It needs a compression test, but that will probably only serve to confirm. Maybe it is just a gasket like John sez. It does run fine, starts right up and is way way more powerful than the 2.25.
What I'll probably do is get the 300tdi lump done up all shiny-like and then next year or so just do a switcheroo. Then either pass the 200 along or recondition it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts