Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my d 90 had bilstiens on it with the orginal springs. if i buy ome medium duty spring will i need new shocks?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I heard the other way around. They are the same length as stock but a lot of people use them for better on road performance.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I just installed Bilstiens yesterday with original springs, and did so persuant to research with Expedition Exchange, Atlantic British, several d90.com users, etc., that stated that the OME springs are matched in length with OME shocks (longer) and the Bilstiens are the SAME LENGTH as original shocks. If you fit Bilstiens with OME springs the shocks will inhibit travel and articulation. If you fit OME shocks with original springs, the rear springs may unseat due to the added length of the OME shocks.

Original springs = Bilstiens
OME springs = OME shocks

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I suppose it is possible the Bilsteins are limiting my downward travel, I never really checked. But I still get the benefit of additional lift to fit larger tires. And until the rear sway bar comes off, (which mine is) it will prevent downward travel much more than the bilsteins.

So I think the answer to his original question is still no, in that he won't 'have' to get new shocks. He *may* want to though :grin

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
psss - the Bilstiens make a nice ride, and the preload they have also seems to hold the front up a little bit compensating for the weight of the winch and stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts