Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 NAS ST
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something more period correct and just want Bluetooth.

Has anyone tried this in a NAS defender: Continental Automotive

or the big ticket LR version?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow. That looks badass. I had no idea we had an option like that. Great, now I got to have one. Wonder if it will fit in my 95?

·
Premium Member
1997 NAS ST
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Porsche version in my 993 and its awesome. Same manufacturer. It is single-DIN so should be fine in any NAS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know where one can actually purchase a Continental radio?

I have my eye on a Jensen that also has a weather band. I think that might come in handy on those long camping/hunting trips.

·
Premium Member
1997 NAS ST
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That Vdo bt/USB unit is very good value and looks period correct. Can you change the color scheme and if not, whats the default illumination look like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got the VDO/Continental head unit. Looks perfect. works well. Very period correct And it‘s a great price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@toona I just installed a Clarion M508 in my 1995 D90 NAS. I was also looking for something more basic looking. The Clarion was perfect. Has Bluetooth, multiple inputs, and it’s weatherproof. I think it looks like it came with the truck. It’s reasonably priced and i got it on Crutchfield. Josh

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I'm looking for something more period correct and just want Bluetooth.

Has anyone tried this in a NAS defender: Continental Automotive

or the big ticket LR version?

I have this- It looks simple but packs a lot of power and options. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-80PRS

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Second the Clarion M508. Put them in 2 of my trucks - marine radios with Bluetooth, many features and look “correct” in. Defenders. And Crutchfield has good prices and excellent support.

Mike F

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,838 Posts
Second the Clarion M508. Put them in 2 of my trucks - marine radios with Bluetooth, many features and look “correct” in. Defenders. And Crutchfield has good prices and excellent support.

Mike F

Do they still offer a harness adapter?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Crutchfield does include a harness that you can splice onto the head unit so that the OEM Land Rover connections (from my 94 NAS at least) plug right in.

·
Premium Member
11,838 Posts
Crutchfield does include a harness that you can splice onto the head unit so that the OEM Land Rover connections (from my 94 NAS at least) plug right in.

That’s cool. I got a radio for my 90 from them 13 years ago and I got one of those harnesses. Good to know upgrading would be easy.

·
Premium Member
1997 NAS ST
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I’ve got the LR117490 - the cost is homorous but it fine when factored into the cost of a complete rebuild where I want my truck to be just right. The head unit is pretty, but I haven’t installed it yet because the truck is still in pieces...
Is there a harness for the LR117490? How easy would that be to swap in?

·
Premium Member
'94 D90 POE #1500, '97 SW #23
198 Posts
Those are really good alternatives and I'll do one of these if necessary, but is there anybody that repairs the original radios? Mine just has some inop buttons. I know the Roverville guy was doing them years ago, but there seemed to be some dissatisfaction in the populace regarding him, and I'm not sure if he's even active anymore. I'd just like to keep my '94 POE as original as possible.
I also have a '74 Bronco with the original AM radio, and you can get those or just about any old radio (up to about 1976) converted to a modern, powerful AM/FM with bluetooth/USB/AUX and potato chips at a place called S&M Electro-Tech (www.turnswitch.com). It's pricey but super cool. I called this morning to see if they'd do my Defender radio, but he said it was too new for him and too old for anybody that he knew of that could fix it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts