Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This fall I plan to build up a 2001 Defender 110 TD5.
I am looking for your recommended suspension for a 4 inch or so lift to fit up to 35" tires (yes I know bigger than most recommend). :cool:.
I have had the complete Old Man Emu 2" before it was great with 32's, excellent stability and very trail worthy. Now I want a long travel set up, remote res and bump stops etc. Even a combination of kits?

Is this a good contender, perhaps switch the shocks for Fox Remotes? I would love to hear your ideas!

Mega Sport 11 inch travel Competition kit (110/130)

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
35" tires will fit well with a 3" lift... Rte has a decent combo of parts that will do that for you.... Lucky 8 springs will get you 4" on a rover but they, (the rovers) are quite tippy so most as you said wouldn't want to go there. I run 35s with 14" sb bilsteins... Remember to get the proper valving on the shocks. Rockware makes decent rear shock hoops and can build you a set to fit longer shocks... Be ready to deal with likely vibration issues at 3" and probably much worse at 4". image-688890848.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I ran 35" tires on a NAS 90 with a 2" lift. Cut the flares and install longer bump-stops. There is so much room inside the wheel wells you could probably get away with 35's with no lift.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I ran 35" tires on a NAS 90 with a 2" lift. Cut the flares and install longer bump-stops. There is so much room inside the wheel wells you could probably get away with 35's with no lift.
Take the flares off and you basically can with the right (skinny) tire and wheel offset... Only thing is, if you actually wheel it, they will rub like crazy when you articulate.... I had 33" tires (255/85/16) on my truck with a 2" ome lift and my rear tire rubbed at full articulation... That's a 10.5 tire, which is difficult and expensive to find in 35s.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
35/10.50-16 SSR tires on Wolfs with 2" lift and extended bump stops, no issues except trimming flairs at bottoms. Also, I tried a 285/75-18 with an adaptor to run D-II 18" wheels, and similar results. It can be done with 2" lift, and the end result is much better IMHO. I also run the Rockware hoops which are sweet. When locked F&R, and this setup, you can do most any trail in the country- shy of KOH, which can still be done albeit a little carnage- same with Las Cruces. But no issues on Blanca and such...

However, for grins and giggles I love 37's on my HCPU ;-)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I guess I'll get a good idea first hand as I Picked up this 99 TD5 today in Spain! 4.5" Lift, with F.O.A. Remote res shocks and 315/75r16 (34.6x12.5r16") tires, even ARB lockers :D Canada bound in a few days. Didn't feel any high speed shakes, definitely a bit "boat like" on the corners, but wow does it take suck those bumps up. It has a remapped ECU and straight pipe.. which I think really helped balance the power loss from the tire ratio and weight, definitely worth upgrade IMO. I still think I will go 3" and 34" on my 110 with all proper radius arms, remotes, bump stops etc.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
35" tires will fit well with a 3" lift... Rte has a decent combo of parts that will do that for you.... Lucky 8 springs will get you 4" on a rover but they, (the rovers) are quite tippy so most as you said wouldn't want to go there. I run 35s with 14" sb bilsteins... Remember to get the proper valving on the shocks. Rockware makes decent rear shock hoops and can build you a set to fit longer shocks... Be ready to deal with likely vibration issues at 3" and probably much worse at 4". View attachment 131402

What exact size are those tires? 315/75 16? Also how wide are the wheels as well?

I love that look.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I guess I'll get a good idea first hand as I Picked up this 99 TD5 today in Spain! 4.5" Lift, with F.O.A. Remote res shocks and 315/75r16 (34.6x12.5r16") tires, even ARB lockers :D Canada bound in a few days.
Very nice.... Even got a D44 front bumper & 8274, great find :thumb:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wheels are walker evans... 17" x 8.5" ... Tires are bfg mk2 35x12.5r17 ... Think the backspace is 3.5 if I remember.

I could not find the Defender bolt Pattern on the Walker Evans website? Did you have to have the wheels specially made? I would be interested in buying a set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts