Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the process of stripping down the 97 300tdi csw ROW, I've come across this tamper proof black box inside the left hand seatbox.
The vehicle did have a security system in it, it had the bonnet sensor, the alarm in the front left wing etc. I never got the fob when purchasing the truck so I have no idea of the functionality of it.

I was assuming this black box was what is referred to as the spider, but I expected there to be a multi connector to unplug it, but the wires just feed in. Unless the connector is inside the tamper proof box.

Ultimately I need to get the wires out of the box so I can feed the through the side of the seatbox to be able to remove the seatbox.

So before I go tampering with this thing I'm hoping to get some feedback about what it actually is and how to proceed.

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after a bunch of digging in the Euro forums it looks like it is indeed the spider I'm dealing with.

I'm thinking it would be nice to strip this whole alarm system out and replace it with a new engine harness, minus all the alarm junk, ecu etc

Who makes a good 300tdi harness?

·
Premium Member
13,822 Posts
So after a bunch of digging in the Euro forums it looks like it is indeed the spider I'm dealing with.

I'm thinking it would be nice to strip this whole alarm system out and replace it with a new engine harness, minus all the alarm junk, ecu etc

Who makes a good 300tdi harness?
Bobeck and I soldered in a bypass wire in 30 mins. Striping the system requires your get a different main wiring harness.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm ok that's a bit more involved. Maybe I should just do the bypass.

Out of curiosity is there someone making the main harness for a 300?

·
Premium Member
13,822 Posts
Hmm ok that's a bit more involved. Maybe I should just do the bypass.

Out of curiosity is there someone making the main harness for a 300?
After doing the bypass I never had further issue and I assure you the truck was used harder than you are likely to. For example driven in water over the bonnet so the alarm unit was fully submerged for extended periods.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing the bypass I never had further issue and I assure you the truck was used harder than you are likely to. For example driven in water over the bonnet so the alarm unit was fully submerged for extended periods.

Good to know, guess I'll stop worrying about it and get back to pulling the engine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I imported my 1996 from Germany and I don't have that black boxe under the left seat. You can get a remote and program it it's real easy. And since we are both from Ottawa I could even show you in person.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've pulled apart the box and its out of the seat box now. Once everything is in the new chassis I will have to decide if I want to get the fob and bring it back to life or just do the bypass.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I imported my 1996 from Germany and I don't have that black boxe under the left seat. You can get a remote and program it it's real easy. And since we are both from Ottawa I could even show you in person.

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that when I get to that stage.
Will you be at the All British Car Day in two weeks?

Cheers,
Will

·
Registered
1 Posts
FOB setup

Hi Marc

I have a '97 110 that also came from Germany with only one fob. I was looking to disable the spider with a bypass plug but there is no spider in this unit - it has the DDS at the fuel injection pump.

How did you go about getting a new fob setup for yours?

Merci!
Guylain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts