Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's in your cellar?
Favorite with food? Best all around drinkable?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Ummm Beeerrr! I have been drinking Moonlight Brewing Co.'s Death and Taxes. It's a black lager and is really tasty. Probably will bring home a keg of a Sierra Nevada specialty ale next to get my self psyched up for my trip to their Beer Camp in September! Cant wait for that!

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Emerson's Pilsner from Dunedin, New Zealand is probably my favorite beer ever. Very tasty and pretty well with most things. I used to love it with a big burger and fries, or fish and chips.

I also love the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, super hops in that one. Nobody I know seems to like it. I keep a stash year round until the holidays come back and buy out the town.

I have a KBS clone I just kegged last week after aging 6 months. Pretty intense coffee, chocolate, bourbon, stout. Stupid Elko 8.5 pH tap water is fun to brew with....

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
KBS is spectacular... Founders' oatmeal breakfast stout and wake -n-bake are phenomenal.
Yea those are some crazy good beers. I love the dirty bastard as well.

Have you tried the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes? I cloned that one and it has been the best beer I have ever made I think.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
San Diego recently overtook Portland as "the most breweries City in the USA" so we have rediculous amounts of choices.

Lately Ballast Point Yellowtail Pale Ale has been in the keg. Alesmith, Ballast Point, Karl Strauss, and Big Sky have all had turns in there of late.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
San Diego recently overtook Portland as "the most breweries City in the USA" so we have rediculous amounts of choices.

Lately Ballast Point Yellowtail Pale Ale has been in the keg. Alesmith, Ballast Point, Karl Strauss, and Big Sky have all had turns in there of late.
I wanna party with you! Gooooood choices!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Recently it has been Scotch Ales and Double IPAs in either the bottle or growler when I am at home. I joined the beer club at my friend’s wine and beer bar/specialty shop. Drinking every ‘make and model’ of beer they have in their cooler was a challenge I was willing to accept. I have really enjoyed the brew from Epic out of Salt Lake City, UT and Odell out of Fort Collins, CO. I did not enjoy the Wells Banana Bread Beer.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Jeff,
I made a clone of that and put it on nitro, mmm mmm good. Never even tried the real thing. Ct. Has some funky laws about beer from other States. Next time you have a couple extra send 'em my way. "Live Yeast Cultures"
Ed

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Just got back from doing Beer Camp at Sierra Nevada! It was super fun. There were nine campers in my group, people from all over the country. Took us a while to settle on a beer to brew and we came up with something Sierra Nevada had never brewed before.

Our beer is kind of a strong ale with a nice golden color, but the unique thing was that we went to a local winery and picked 350lbs of grapes (petite syrah and tempernillo sp?). We stomped the grapes with our feet and added the skins, seeds and juice to the boil about 5 -6 mins before it was done. We picked up a little more color from the grapes and hopefully some flavor.

Anyway, I'll be getting my share of it in 5-6 weeks and I'll report back. If you dont know about beer camp just google it and stuff will come up. I didnt have to apply because I was invited as a vendor.

We brewed two batches in their 10bbl pilot brewery. Super fun time. I've brewed on commercial systems before but it had been 15 years or so. My how things have changed. Instead of manual labor it was all done by the click of a mouse for the most part. Unbelievable!

Daniel

1 - 20 of 38 Posts