Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in awe of how much money some Defenders are bringing on BAT, when they appear to be complete trash. Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about. But the amount of positive comments, likes on idiotic comments, and the overall spend on such **** is amazing to me. Trucks that could barely squeeze out 25K a couple years back are selling for 40 and 50 thousand and more, most with the worst paint I've seen...but...KICK ASS lifestyle accessories mounted on!

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Yes
That says a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I was thinking the same. I know for SO sure I have better ones for less money. Sometimes feel sorry for the buyers as I know I good give them much better. Unfortunately Batt refused my cars. Not repainted, yes some dents and scratches and for sure not poshed with all kind of goofy accessories . I think their standard is glossy and shinny bodywork.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Because this is the age of overlanding and people can borrow money. The Defender is still one of the coolest cars on the road and then you can throw $20k in accessories on it to drive around town so you can be a cool kid.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trash imports are expected. Shady sellers as well. But the complete ignorance on BAT is astonishing, as seen from the comments. It would be awesome if somehow buyers could follow up with their purchases on BAT to see how it really works out, would keep things real and honest, perhaps.

Oh and that one sellers video walk arounds are painful to watch. :oops:

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
Dubious that the seller state engine has 1k on it and it just looks like its been powerwashed.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently my comment on the silver 110 asking if it was painted in a driveway was “non constructive”. It was a serious question.

·
Mendicant
7,840 Posts
The seller says nothing substantive about his trucks, he hems and haws, makes dubious claims, and fails to mention key points. The fact that BaT is accepting these trucks and the seller’s claims has really reduced my opinion of the site overall. Plus they moderate and delete comments that seem in any way critical, so there is no chance to point out flaws, challenge dubious claims, or help educate buyers. Waste of time and not for serious buyers. Perhaps it’s just a money-laundering scheme anyway.

oh, and wagonboytd’s comments are beyond worthless.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seller says nothing substantive about his trucks, he hems and haws, makes dubious claims, and fails to mention key points. The fact that BaT is accepting these trucks and the seller’s claims has really reduced my opinion of the site overall. Plus they moderate and delete comments that seem in any way critical, so there is no chance to point out flaws, challenge dubious claims, or help educate buyers. Waste of time and not for serious buyers. Perhaps it’s just a money-laundering scheme anyway.

oh, and wagonboytd’s comments are beyond worthless.
This guy knows only dollar signs, and unfortunately there are many buyers on BAT that are idiots. He is and will continue to capitalize on that crowd. When put on the spot about the rebuilding of the engine on that silver turd, he is conveniently out of town until after auction.

Someone is regretting that 50K bid...talk about sweating it out until the next fool bids!

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
yeh that's sketchy at best

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
The bummer is that there's there are plenty of legit sellers out there. But it's kind of obvious to somebody who buys and sells a lot of cars that the guy here is deliberately withholding information and is just flat out lying in some cases.

I wouldn't want anybody to pick apart my truck and all the **** that I've fucked up on it but if you're going to do a Dr Aaron to every single person that you're trying to sell to...you deserve to get fucked in the ass

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
How does a freshly rebuilt engine get all that rust on it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That site went from one I would causally look at to something I get bummed thinking about what it could be. It doesn't really sink in that the site's auctions are "off" until you see a car you are familiar (make, model, and typical problems) go for a lot more than it should be.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
To most car dealers, this is just another vehicle they can make a good profit margin on it. Clean off all the obvious issues, sell a lifestyle, get it out the door. And really, for the guy who is going to just drive this to Starbucks on Sunday morning to show off, it'll work just great for that.

They see the guys doing V8 swaps and asking $125k or whatever. So $50k seems like a steal to the guy who doesn't know the market. Yes. These cars are marketed towards those who say, "I want a defender" and just go get one. Looks cool? Buy it.

Most of these cars end up as fair weather town cruisers. But really, any car that can make it to 45 mph and not shake off the road is acceptable. None of these will get taken on a long road trip or any other strenuous activity that'll expose its actual flaws.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts