Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searching and I just want to make sure I got this correct.

Here is my current Ball Joint....definitely needs replacing.

Now I can get the bottom of the link out but the top is in there pretty solid. I back the 2 bolts out halfway and I tried the braking method and the BFHammer method but it wouldn’t budge. If I read correctly, after all the sweat, it really needs to be pressed out and the new one pressed in.

Am I right that I need to remove the lower portion again and the 2 arms and take it to have a pressed used?

here is what I’m replacing it with.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Remove big nut
Thread it loosely back on
Get big pickle fork from Napa or Amazon
Wedge fork so flat side is down and ramped side is up.
Get bfh and wail on it until the ball joint taper releases from the axle.
Remove big nut
Remove big two 1/2in diameter bolts that hold the ball joint cast bracket to the arms that connect to the chassis
Take ball joint and bracket to a shop that has a big press
Pay them to press out the old and press in the new.
Loosely bolt big nut after inserting the ball joint and bracket.
Baste long 1/2in bolts in antisieze
Insert bolts and torque up
Drop truck weight onto axle
Torque big nut and pin it

·
Registered
558 Posts
You're going to need a press like Naplm00 says. My 20 ton did the trick, but you are not going to be albe to beat it out with a BFH.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're going to need a press like Naplm00 says. My 20 ton did the trick, but you are not going to be albe to beat it out with a BFH.
Wonder if a 12 ton would do the trick as thats what I have and am also planning on doing this soon as part of my rebuild

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wonder if a 12 ton would do the trick as thats what I have and am also planning on doing this soon as part of my rebuild
It should. The breaking force it the big one, and once loose it slide out pretty easy. You might have to put it on an anvil on your vise and smack the mounting area with a hammer to loosen the rust. Cutting the ears off of the old one makes it easier to push out. If yours is really crusty, go with he complete assembly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As an aside, I was able to heat and hit the last one I did with a hammer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did mine. I was able to press it out with a 12 ton press. To be honest it was kind of scary in that I knew I had a lot pressure on the ball joint until it popped….. I thought someone fired a gun in the shop….kinda scary but I got it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts