Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I waited for 6 months or so for my top, that was 10+ years ago and I would do it again in a heart beat.. the top is still in great shape.

Worth the wait imho

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
My fourth Badger top is currently being produced. Just be patient. Worth the wait by a mile.

Regarding "matching supply to demand", I'm actually hording tops in case Chris ever goes out of business. Cant imagine the quality would be as high with another person making them. Competitors have tried and failed.

·
Premium Member
9,504 Posts
Considering he is the only one making that level top, you may well be correct!
Am not convinced the typical supply and demand relationships apply to this situation other than in theory.
I think economists like Adam Smith didn't really take into account non-substitutable goods like a Badger top.
Sure you can buy "a top" from several vendors, but there is only one Badgerman and there is only one set of products that have Badger quality.
No doubt that Chris could hire some chimps (unlike Peter who did help Chris for years), lower the quality and increase the quantity to meet demand.
While I am in no way an official spokesperson for the Badger himself, I do believe he will never sacrifice his quality standards to meet demand quicker.
You also have to consider there is a critical path at the sewing machine.
Don't know how he does it, but the top he made me was 100% custom and to my eye 100% on the mark.
It was made from dimensions I sent him with a one time mock-up that fit like a glove.

Before our adult children were born Chris use to come to Land Rover events and hang out with "the Virginia boys".
I typically remind Chris of the gathering schedule and the answer is always the same, too busy.
He and Peter were always the best of company, sew on and sew forth.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Chris called and we spoke at some length yesterday. Great guy, very friendly, and I appreciated the time he spent answering my questions. Anyhow, I'm in the que for a top and enjoying the struggle between choosing sandstone or tan with Coniston Green.

Thanks again all for your input. 😊

Attachments

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Adding people would add stress. I have realized just lately that the reason I started Badger Coachworks was to be a craftsman and make stuff. I did not start it to be a business owner that runs a work force. I refer to that as a day care center. I got to a point in my life that I wanted to get rid of any stress in personal life and work. I am very comfortable in where I have gotten with my skills and reputation and have the customers to thank for that. My day starts with coffee and feeding Mick, then driving around Chatham to the Light House to check out this awesome place I live. Then it is off for more coffee or iced tea, perhaps take Mick for a sniff and piss and then to the shop. I have learned to live life as you go. I usually get to the shop at 9:30-10 and go over emails and messages. Then it is going upstairs and picking out some music to listen to while I make products. The stereo is awesome and the speakers are placed so the sweet spot is sitting at my sewing machine. The clarity and separation of the music makes it sound like the band is playing upstairs. I have said to myself "This is an awesome job"!
Having a back log of orders is good for me, but not for the customer that needs it right away. I don't want to conquer the world with making tops. I have made enough product over the last 40 years to fill my 2000 sq ft shop to the rafters. To still have the passion after 40 years is remarkable. Back in 1981 I met a 85 year old Italian man that would come into my Step Brothers upholstery shop to buy leather and carpeting. I asked him "Joe, what do you do with this stuff?". He said that he made Rolls Royce interiors. This guy turned into one of my idols. I hope that some day I will be that 85 year old man still sewing and be known as a true craftsman that stayed with it.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I ordered a top in 2005 and probably waited three months back then. It still looked great considering the abuse it got until I sold the truck last year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Adding people would add stress. I have realized just lately that the reason I started Badger Coachworks was to be a craftsman and make stuff. I did not start it to be a business owner that runs a work force. I refer to that as a day care center. I got to a point in my life that I wanted to get rid of any stress in personal life and work. I am very comfortable in where I have gotten with my skills and reputation and have the customers to thank for that. My day starts with coffee and feeding Mick, then driving around Chatham to the Light House to check out this awesome place I live. Then it is off for more coffee or iced tea, perhaps take Mick for a sniff and piss and then to the shop. I have learned to live life as you go. I usually get to the shop at 9:30-10 and go over emails and messages. Then it is going upstairs and picking out some music to listen to while I make products. The stereo is awesome and the speakers are placed so the sweet spot is sitting at my sewing machine. The clarity and separation of the music makes it sound like the band is playing upstairs. I have said to myself "This is an awesome job"!
Having a back log of orders is good for me, but not for the customer that needs it right away. I don't want to conquer the world with making tops. I have made enough product over the last 40 years to fill my 2000 sq ft shop to the rafters. To still have the passion after 40 years is remarkable. Back in 1981 I met a 85 year old Italian man that would come into my Step Brothers upholstery shop to buy leather and carpeting. I asked him "Joe, what do you do with this stuff?". He said that he made Rolls Royce interiors. This guy turned into one of my idols. I hope that some day I will be that 85 year old man still sewing and be known as a true craftsman that stayed with it.

Big fan here, just waiting on a top :)

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Dibs on his top ��

·
Registered
386 Posts
Chris - from your brief description is sounds like you have found the sweet spot in life. you're making the highest quality product available by doing something you love, and you are still passionate about it. don't change a thing...regardless of how long the wait list gets. sew on!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
This is the essence of why I love defenders. It’s a simply wonderful, imperfect vehicle that has the romance of a day long gone. Chris, what you make is world class and of a quality that few appreciate any more. It’s an art form. Simple, elegant and with attention to detail. Hell, you make me want to buy a new top even though I know the badger top I have is good for another 10 years. The world wants everything immediately and has lost the appreciation that quality takes time. It’s like a fine wine or a woman you have to earn her affection. Or maybe it’s the pints I had on the way home on a Friday afternoon. In any case, love the product. Don’t change a thing. I know you won’t. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I chatted with Chris recently to see if I could get a top for my defender...unfortunately, no go in my time frame....but i got one from RN

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Really looking forward to mine! Excited to see the rebuilt roll up lift up doors with the gutter kit and new top. Funny I wanted one for years and always referred to it as that “hot rod” soft top with my wife.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I unfortunately have not been able to get through to him for 2 years. I have sent multiple emails and called multiple times about his soft door tops for Defenders or series and never heard back. I get being back logged but....

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I waited a while for my ROW top and it arrived last week. It was well worth the wait. Even better, in the process I made a friend in Chris with our monthly calls to check in and chat. You better believe every time I pass thru Chatham on the way to Truro I am going to stop in and say "Hi" pushing him even further behind schedule!

We could all learn something from Chris and his approach to business and life.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Yes, no question, Chris does premier work. My problem is I've been in communication with Chris since last fall about obtaining an additional Tickford (as a backup for the one I bought from him several years ago).
He says he has several, that he wanted to climb up to find a good one, and I was willing to get the mod for the ROW door headers done locally, so it takes a fraction of his time - only for packing and shipping. He says he's more than willing to sell me one, but here it is 10 months later (in the midst, as noted, of cyclical heat waves) and still no mention that he's ready to ship and "here's the price"!
I can only get my existing one resewn so many times, before I'm SOL.
I've PM'd him through FB, and tried calling him, and I know he's busy to the extent he doesn't communicate, but do I need to get on some unknown waiting list to get this purchased?

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2019 01:17 AM ------

If it's that good, then you don't have a Land Rover!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one that I can sell if you are interested. DM me

------ Follow up post added August 14th, 2019 01:13 PM ------

I have one for sale if you are interested. DM me if you would like to chat.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts