Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody an idea how to get rid of the chains/replace with what, that get caught in the back load flap when you close it. Please help.:mad

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
I've seen chains sheathed in clear PVC tubing from Hardware stores. Others have sheathed steel wire.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Chains on Series trucks....they are sheathed in a leather cover x2 ea side

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
Chains on Series trucks....they are sheathed in a leather cover x2 ea side
The OP shows a Defender as his vehicle. Can't see any reason not to use the Defender cable on a Series. Same tailgate.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Personally I prefer the chains.
Maybe it's not an issue on a Land Rover, never tried the cables, but I have cables on my F-250 and I hate them. They get caught and over time get damaged and break. Which sucks when you have a load on the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Its an 85 and in South Africa maybe was a CKD difference or just being an 85 they were still using chains.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. It is a UK import 110. I checked the serial and found it actually an '86 build/registration. Totally original with 132000 miles. I don't want to modify anything but these chains are very annoying. If I made folding flap holders from 25mm flatbar would I be out of line. The flap still has the pigtail hooks on for the chain. Will just keep these in case of resale.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
dude - your truck do what you like. The RRC came with such a setup - but you will have to ensure that there is enough room - then you are drilling holes in the tailgate and the tub...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts