Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going to just regear or add a Trutrac/Detroit/ARB “while in there”?
I was thinking strictly just regearing, but if it’s not crazy expensive I do have an ARB compressor sitting around and would entertain a rear locker. I know the locker parts are $1,000 each axle.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
A big cost factor is whether or not you are pulling the center sections yourself (assuming you are a 90). If you can at least do that, then I’d say any gear shop should be around $3-500 per diff, plus parts. And that’s high to me.

Double or triple that cost if the shop has to pull the 3rds.

It’s not that hard to set up new gears, especially in a Rover center section. If you’re able, do it yourself and learn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A big cost factor is whether or not you are pulling the center sections yourself (assuming you are a 90). If you can at least do that, then I’d say any gear shop should be around $3-500 per diff, plus parts. And that’s high to me.

Double or triple that cost if the shop has to pull the 3rds.

It’s not that hard to set up new gears, especially in a Rover center section. If you’re able, do it yourself and learn.
Very, very informative. Thank you. I gots some more research to do.

·
Super Moderator
14,153 Posts
Beyond the labor costs, have you looked up the cost of the gears? Once you have all of the information, compare it to buying completely built centers. If you are paying someone to install, it may not be more expensive to buy the complete centers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I looked up the preassembled centers. I know I can do the rear myself, but the front looks like a different story!

I've been warned not to use the pre-assembled centers (Lucky 8)... Can anyone here chime in on their experiences?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Yes, I looked up the preassembled centers. I know I can do the rear myself, but the front looks like a different story!

I've been warned not to use the pre-assembled centers (Lucky 8)... Can anyone here chime in on their experiences?
You were warned not to use them by lucky8 or the ones from lucky8?

·
Super Moderator
14,153 Posts

I would buy from Ashcroft or Great Basin Rovers, if it were me. In any case, you can get complete cost including shipping on Ashcroft's website without buying anything.

The front is more work, but not particularly difficult. If you are using this off road (which I assume due to the regearing) then knowing how to pull the front apart on the trail is an important thing to know.

Perhaps this is a good time to discuss your usage plans as gears are just one piece and you should be looking at other upgrades while in there.

Reactions: TechN9NETY
1 - 16 of 16 Posts