Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought we could use a consolidated thread for auction finds.

1995 RRC LWB project, 157k with clean title. Auction is tomorrow.

https://www.copart.com/lot/54439848

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2018 10:41 AM ------

Here's a 2004 Freelander with a buy-it-now price of $200. Looks undamaged. Might make a nice yard ornament.

https://www.copart.com/lot/51334488

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
That truck speaks volumes. All the diamond stitched racing seats can’t make up for 30yo crusty wires.

That was a Turbo fire....overheated, and everything on/around it combusted, then up goes the oil.

Must've got damn hot to melt the bonnet like that!
@Chris - i dont think it was an Arkonik - they didn't do diesels until 200TDi's could come in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Copart? I’m very realistic with my expectations, but the reviews I can find are awful.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Just a heads up for ANYONE buying from Co-Part. What they do is for some vehicles, they will "dress them up" for sale with parts from other vehicles. And they IN NO WAY represent the vehicle in any way shape or form....you have to do your research. Here is an example of a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace - a beautiful vehicle, first picture from Copart you would look and say wow....second is from the insurance company clearly pointing out the structural damage to the A-pilar.

As with all things - buyer beware - do your due diligence.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I haven’t bought anything from Copart. But I checked out a vehicle I was interested in at one of the local locations. They gave me the key and let me have as much time with it as I wanted. They don’t allow you to bring in tools or a diagnostic scanner so you’ll just have to use your best judgment. I suppose if you’re sneaky you could bring a little Bluetooth or WiFi OBD2 reader (kind that connects to your phone.) Some of the bad reviews are probably for a broker too. Depending on your state (or if you have a license) you can purchase directly from them. Definitely carefully research what you’re looking to buy and if it’s not cheap go check it out or have someone check it out for you.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Just a heads up for ANYONE buying from Co-Part. What they do is for some vehicles, they will "dress them up" for sale with parts from other vehicles. And they IN NO WAY represent the vehicle in any way shape or form....you have to do your research. Here is an example of a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace - a beautiful vehicle, first picture from Copart you would look and say wow....second is from the insurance company clearly pointing out the structural damage to the A-pilar.

Surprised they have the time ad desire to go through this effort, though? Is this when they mark such vehicles as "enhanced" (enhanced for the sale category)?

I certainly had a chuckle, though, at least once, when a nice aftermarket touch-screen system "disappeared" in the pictures for one specific vehicle I was checking out. There's certainly some thieving going on there....

Bottom line is - auctions are always "as is, where is", so, set your limit and never exceed it.

Too bad there are way too many international buyers there that don't care much about the vehicle condition, and keep bidding up, so, the realized prices are really only good for places with extremely cheap labor. I'm finding Copart way too pricey now for a US/Canada average Joe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That truck speaks volumes. All the diamond stitched racing seats can’t make up for 30yo crusty wires.

That was a Turbo fire....overheated, and everything on/around it combusted, then up goes the oil.

@Chris - i dont think it was an Arkonik - they didn't do diesels until 200TDi's could come in.
Isn’t this their badge? I always assumed this is what they used. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought it was an Arkonik when Insaw that also.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts

WOW!

Thanks for pointing that out. That is super sketchy.

I also note that a few of the auctions have buy-it-now pricing.

·
Registered
116 Posts

It looks like a 2.5 petrol Arkonik truck

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Jonesy, put down the Kool-aid bro.

Its an Arkonik truck, and its not a diesel. The carbs fitted to the 2.25 and 2.5 petrol have tednency to dribble fuel onto the hot exhaust.

But, any truck can catch fire. Not necessarily Arkoniks fault.

Do some research before you post....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts