Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumped into a guy today who has 375k on his Diesel engine and swears it's because he adds a quart of ATF at every fill up. Is this something that would benefit a 200/300 tdi. I tried the search function but didn't pull up too much.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Now that's a new one. I can't wait to hear what people have to say about it. All I know is ATF is flammable as heck and obviously a great lubricant!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Truck drivers use 2 stroke oil and in much lower proportions than a quart in say 18 gallons. I either use diesel kleen or 2 stroke oil. I don't notice a difference but it makes "me" feel good. Don't know about the engine

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
I have heard of this, and in fact Doug long ago turned me onto when swapping out fuel filters on a diesel filling the new filter with ATF - helps to clean out the injector nozzles/etc. I have heard of others putting a quart of ATF or even 10W40 in each tank of diesel as well, helps to improve lubricity (so the theory goes). Now, we are talking about the CHEAP run of the mill Type F ATF here....NOT the synthetic, or Castrol Dexron or anything.

Honestly, it's probably not any different than putting an additive like Optilube XPD into each tank at fillup. That said, the per/tank usage is *probably* lower using something like XPD, and this additive is actually proven to increase fuel economy up to 5% and noticeably quiets a Tdi motor (based on my prior experience).

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
It has been discussed here before.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I prefere organ oil.
But AFT makes a good job too.
Diesel engines are designed to inject stuff like this.

But it depends on the injection pump!

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Lubriscity

and its not going to get better with ULSD, its the process of removing the sulfur that diesel loses its lubricity.

even LSD is no gooda in the long run for our older diesel engines, Engines from 2006 are designed to LSD. I have and will continue to use 2 stroke

Taken from another web site " More and more people are using 2 cycle oil to return the lubriscity back to the fuel. They use a ratio of 128 to 1. The study had it 200 to 1. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A DPF"

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
^^^THIS^^^

I have noticed a difference, and use Optilube every tankful (when I remember :) )

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
While the small amount of it you all are pouring into your fuel tanks is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things, ATF contains stuff that shouldn't be burned and blown out a tailpipe. It's meant to stay inside a transmission.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
I used ATF in gas engine oil to remove carbon but that was for a brief 500 mile thing. Poor thing hadn't had oil changed in 15k..... But ATF in diesel. Having followed the VW HPFP mess and held off getting one of their Tdis er I'd be wary about it. There are lubricosity improvers out there....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Several times I've read about this type of thing with ATF. I sometimes put half a quart into the engine the day before I do an oil change.

I live where much of what is sold is LSD, will need to look into additives when I get the 300 installed.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I have heard of this, and in fact Doug long ago turned me onto when swapping out fuel filters on a diesel filling the new filter with ATF - helps to clean out the injector nozzles/etc. I have heard of others putting a quart of ATF or even 10W40 in each tank of diesel as well, helps to improve lubricity (so the theory goes). Now, we are talking about the CHEAP run of the mill Type F ATF here....NOT the synthetic, or Castrol Dexron or anything.

Honestly, it's probably not any different than putting an additive like Optilube XPD into each tank at fillup. That said, the per/tank usage is *probably* lower using something like XPD, and this additive is actually proven to increase fuel economy up to 5% and noticeably quiets a Tdi motor (based on my prior experience).
^^this exactly

I pre-filled the diesel filter with ATF
I also tossed a half a quart in every few tankfulls
Good results, but it may run a bit warmer

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Biodiesel has the same effect in terms of lubricity and cleansing effect. I used to use Opti-lube XPD.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Quite a few stations here in pdx are selling b20 and many strictly b20. No additive necessary. And i am only paying $2.37 a gal. The studies I have read indicate that b5 improves the lubricity more then any of the additives do. I believe all highway diesel sold in Oregon is mandated to be at least b5.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Some diesel guy from another forum did a reasonably elaborate comparison test a few years ago. I believe I posted a link to it on one of the diesel additive threads on here. Out of all the performance additives, XPD performed the best. It came in at no 2. No 1 was B20.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ah, yes, I didn't think about that -- Bio. And I actually mean to ask you about bio at the ABFM.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
In the past working on heavy equipment and off road diesels where emissions smoke and the like does not come onto play, I have used all kinds or oils to prime and or start those things.
Kerosene, motor oil, hydraulic oil, mineral, atf,ps...used motor oil diluted with kerosene, gasoline and diesel mix...what ever was available on my service truck to avoid using ether or other starting aids...
On the road semis, once in a while I would use 10 gallons of gas to 100 diesel.
Easier starts, faster rpm pick up, held power longer.
The downside to it, the exhaust would get hotter, egt ran higher, and when you used the jake brake the first 2 feet or so of the turbo down pipe would get red hot...glowing red hot....
Now that's a truckers delight.....
Now a days the new reformulated diesel while wonderful on the new diesels does not too much for older diesels.
Mainly due to rengeneering of the combustion chamber and fuel injector location as well as direct injection...the pressures made by the old injection pump is not even close to the one made by computer controlled common rail and hydraulic.. Up to 100,000 psi...
Back the old diesels I cannot be certain if such abuse caused damage or not. the big 14 to 17 liters run up to 25 to 1 compression ratio vrs the small 14 to 19 to 1 on the small engines.
Some trick such as the gasoline mix I would not try on a small engine.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Well if you want to keep a 25 year old pump and injectors going.....they need lube. The new low sulfer is not doing you any favors. I use it....or ag diesel and have had no issues. These things will burn filtered grease if needed.....
Now....beat it to death...and put Blue Ridge on speed dial.

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
ATF is a very good additive.
I have talked to people who collect used ATF, ran it through a centrifuge and separate out the additives and debris, then burned it in a diesel with excellent results.

Spoke to a guy in South America years ago who's job was to swap out hydraulic oil in manufacturing plants and ran his Mercedes OM617 powered G-Wagon on the hydraulic oil that he had to heat to dewater.
He was up to 1.5 million miles without any injection system issues... amazing!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts