Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a lot of info about taking them apart but nothing about putting them back on.

Is there a trick I'm missing? I have everything loose, installed fender liners, headlight buckets, fenders, then top wings. The passenger side worked out well except for a little section that I'm not happy with but I don't know what to do, I'll try massaging it a bit more to see if I can get it better.

The drivers side is a mess. All the holes along the top are out by about a half inch even when the spirolocks are all the way over. Also it seems like the top wing is too long or the fender is too short. With all the room for adjustment I didn't think I had to test fit them before paint, guess I was wrong.

I guess I can use the die grinder to make the slots bigger but I don't know what to do with the different sizes. Am I supposed to connect the top wing to the headlight first and then the fender? They're all new panels from SP with the exception of the headlights and fender liners.

Oh yeah and that bolt in the top corner where the three panels meet really sucks!!!

Sean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,694 Posts
Anything changed ? Bulkhead, chassis ?
It’s not uncommon to have to elongate holes in wing outler panels to get them to fit. Very important to mock them up before painting, get it right and then take back apart for paint. What we have done is assemble the front to the upper. And rivet the two together and then work with the outer. There’s a reason the LR ones cost hundreds more per side...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Doug, I'll try the upper to the front and see what happens. The bulkhead has been locked to the chassis but pretty much everything else has changed/modified. I'll have to take some measurements and see which panel is off.

Sean

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay slightly better but now I have a gap at the bulkhead and the front radius is kinda out. Not all the bolts line up either.

The passenger wing is 44.25” and the driver is just shy of 44.5”, I might have to cut the bulkhead side back, reweld and repaint....... I don’t know.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I put my glasses on the passenger side is also off.

Am I missing a gasket or something lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Made these same very mistakes along with many others on the painting. The top panel on my needed some trimming and fitting.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think there should be some sort of sealant or gasket in there anyway lol.

Cut it down and I think it’s about as good as I’ll get it, I can’t get it to suck in and the front bolts are as high as I can get them. Might try some things later but I’m about done with these buggers.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I would like to buy original but it was $150 vs. about 10 times that for me to get them and mines not a NAS truck. It was a pretty easy fix if I had only test fitted them in the first place. Just drilled the bracket off, filed it down and re-attached.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
re-assembly leave everything loose as long as you possibly can ( first replace every clip, washer, screw and or bolt in sight and paint them with a corrosion inhibitor) now is time to replace any brittle wire or sloppy connector head; you find along the way.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts