Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I've been thinking of getting one. I'm notorious for forgetting to lock my diff at times.

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
Always embarrassing when it happens. :)

Really the big plus of this is for high speed work like racing.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Always embarrassing when it happens. :)

Really the big plus of this is for high speed work like racing.
Or just high speed dirt/gravel roads.
A few of the blokes on AULRO have them and reckon it makes a huge difference in driveability on gravel, just stops the hunting back and forwards of the open centre diff without the inherent understeer of a locked centre diff.

I'm hoping it also eliminates a bit of slop from the t/case, I have one, plus Maxi Drive low range gears going in this week, if I can actually get time in the workshop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was curious about these myself but have never cone across an installation manual. Is there much to putting one in besides refreshing the front and rear output seal/bearings and dropping this in - or is there some shimming and such required also?

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
It doesn't say what type of lsd it is, but I wouldn't think it uses the same guts. -Jeff
It works on the same concept as a Trutrac. And you still have your difflock.

I've been contemplating getting one.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I want one for running on snow-covered roads. My 80 series cruiser has a viscous center diff (similar setup) and it is an animal in the snow. I always found that the range rovers with the BW case performed better on snowpack than LT230 equipped discos, and I suspect it's the center diff.

The cruiser has a selectable center diff lock and engaging it (instead of leaving it limited slip) makes it handle way worse in the snow.

·
Super Moderator
13,094 Posts
It doesn't say what type of lsd it is, but I wouldn't think it uses the same guts. -Jeff
It is a Torsen diff. No cross pins. Much stronger than stock.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
There is a thread on Pirate4x4 where Buck installed one in his race car (LS based V8 space frame lunar lander buggy racing thing). That guy could bend a crowbar in a sandbox and he hasn't broken it yet.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
The Quaife ATB sometimes needs shimming to cure excess end float, something Ashcrofts ATB doesn't seem to need.

For a unit that uses the same design as the Quaife but is so much cheaper, it's a bit of a no-brainer, and that goes for the final drive ATB's too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts