Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
658 Posts
If you live in Virginia did you trailer the Land Rover Defender 90 there? If you drove a D-90 from Virginia to Colorado you got guts or youre a Land Rover tech. I took mine to the beach once and was a nervous wreck. Lol Would love to see more pictures!
Don't stress about these things. You SHOULD get to know your truck and be a mechanic for sure. I broke down three times on this trip, two of which had the same failure (brake master cylinder). But I met some wonderful people (many from this forum!) to help me along my way. This was with my ground-up 110 build with a 300TDI:

I've since swapped in a Cummins R2.8 and a 1.1 center transfer case and just did this trip earlier in the summer:

Don't be like Cameron's dad in Ferris Bueller's day off:

Cameron: Ferris, my father loves this car more than life itself.
Ferris: A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile.
Cameron: No. No! Apparently, you don't understand!
Ferris: Wow.
Cameron: Ferris, he never drives it! He just rubs it with a diaper!

· Registered
658 Posts
Who did your Cummins swap? I'd love that . You'll never break down! Post a pic if you can! My daily work Truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins 6 speed Manual. I have 3 of them. I've always been a car and truck guy but love cars that are tempermental for some reason. I drove a H1 Hummer for years but when they stopped making them it got tough to maintain . I much prefer my Defender but it has this intermitten issue with loosing power for a second and catching itself. Its weird. My beach place is 3 hours away and I'm to nervous to take it. Lol I've done it once in the 7 years I've owned it. I'm going to drive it locally more now that I've found this site and support. Thank you for responding to me
I did the swap myself. It's gotten easier as more bits and bobs have become available. You can get the whole Defender-specific package now from Chad @ Quick Draw Brands.

I have a whole album for the engine swap here: 300TDi to Cummins R2.8 Swap into RHD Defender 110

I did this when I had a garage in SC. Best I can figure, I was one of the first (if not the first) to actually do a long-bellhousing R380 install in the country, so I discovered numerous issues that are now more common knowledge.

· Registered
658 Posts
What is a safe ball park cost of converting a NAS Defender 90 drive train to a Cummins or a GM drive train? I see ICON does it but I'm sure its excessive .
Uncle Douglas would be the go-to closest to you, I'd think, but check this out for a simple understanding of where the buy-in starts (without labor): Land Rover - Crate Engines - Quick Draw Brand

You're probably looking at 20-25k

1 - 3 of 3 Posts