Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - are all R380's classified as "stumpy" (presumably compared to the longer LT77) or are there different types of R380?

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
there is Long r380 for 300tdi/td5, Long R380 for v8 and stumpy r380 for everything 200tdi and prior

i think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. So, the one that someone has fitted to my 1987 110 with a 2.5NA is likely to be a stumpy, or could it be Long? I assume that if I get the serial number off it I will be able to find out.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
You either have a lt77 or a stumpy r380 if nothing else In the driveline had been changed.

Your 2.5na falls under the "prior to 200tdi" category

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quick question - are all R380's classified as "stumpy" (presumably compared to the longer LT77) or are there different types of R380?

thanks
The LT77 ended up by Suffix H, installed inside Disco I and Defenders behind a 200tdi engine. Both of the input shafts differ in the length!
The R380 started with the Suffix J, Prefix was 56A or 55A. Installed behind 300tdi engines in Defenders and Disco I.
Followed by the R380 with Prefix 68A and Suffix K or L. Installed in Defenders behind a Td5 engine. I'm not qite sure about the Prefix for the Disco II. Guess it is 67A.
Main difference is the length of the shifter rod inside the gearbox: Defenders have the long stick, Disco gears are shifted by a short stick.
The shorty version of the R380 had been designed to fit a 200tdi engine.

Reactions: JimC

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Arlo:
It is so good to see you here again.
It's been years since we corresponded.
Looks your cheese has slightly melted so it stays firmly on your cracker.
We should have a skype call to catch-up.
Robert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The LT77 ended up by Suffix H, installed inside Disco I and Defenders behind a 200tdi engine. Both of the input shafts differ in the length!
The R380 started with the Suffix J, Prefix was 56A or 55A. Installed behind 300tdi engines in Defenders and Disco I.
Followed by the R380 with Prefix 68A and Suffix K or L. Installed in Defenders behind a Td5 engine. I'm not qite sure about the Prefix for the Disco II. Guess it is 67A.
Main difference is the length of the shifter rod inside the gearbox: Defenders have the long stick, Disco gears are shifted by a short stick.
The shorty version of the R380 had been designed to fit a 200tdi engine.
Arlo,
thanks for all of the info. I will take a look at the Prefix/Suffix today

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arlo:
It is so good to see you here again.
It's been years since we corresponded.
Looks your cheese has slightly melted so it stays firmly on your cracker.
We should have a skype call to catch-up.
Robert
Robert,
this is in prep for my 292 Inline 6 conversion. I have sourced a good 292 and will be in touch shortly about the conversion kit.

If my R380 doesn't have the taller 5th gear, what will that do for cruising speed?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,805 Posts
there is Long r380 for 300tdi/td5, Long R380 for v8 and stumpy r380 for everything 200tdi and prior

i think?
Correct me if I am wrong but the 300tdi also marked the start of the long box. The reason they did this change, I am told is that the truck handled heavy payloads better with the engine further forward as a counterweight.

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Robert,
this is in prep for my 292 Inline 6 conversion. I have sourced a good 292 and will be in touch shortly about the conversion kit.

If my R380 doesn't have the taller 5th gear, what will that do for cruising speed?

thanks
It's be fine with a 1.2 transfercase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts