Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the plastic ones on my soft top are in bad shape. I regret not buying Keith's vinyl ones. So is it possible with some of the CNC and 3D modeling tools out there to make aluminum versions. They don't need to be exact replicas. They just need to follow the countour of the door and incorporate the speaker openings, burst latches and grab handle. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
That could be cool but, What's wrong with buying some rovers north door cards? $400 for a set, should last you another 15 years or so.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Like cnc'd out of billet? What did Icon do, something like that but seems excessive for a door card? I've daydreamed of molded plywood in combination of metal....

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For whatever reason, I just don't like the large rovers north logo. I like Rovers North and have bought a ridiculous amount from them but just not digging the logo in the door card. Makes it completely obvious they are aftermarket and did not come with the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
For whatever reason, I just don't like the large rovers north logo. I like Rovers North and have bought a ridiculous amount from them but just not digging the logo in the door card. Makes it completely obvious they are aftermarket and did not come with the truck.
Just reuse your original LR pockets...

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Think RN ones can be had without the logo.
Also since you'd be attaching the aluminum card to the steel Fram, you'll create your favorite galvanic corrosion scenario.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
It could certainly be done with the right budget, but you're talking about a considerable amount of money.

With ABS and fiberglass panels it's easy to make a reasonably priced buck out of wood or fiberglass to form the part around, but those techniques aren't applicable when you're working with metals. You'd need to have a die made and stamp them out, which is $Texas, or pay for a few dozen hours of machine time to have them CNC'ed out -- plus the cost of the CAD work.

I've been playing around with HDPE a lot lately and have come up with some sweet little parts here and there. Door cards are one thing that's crossed my mind, particularly the ST doors, but the material doesn't form well compared to other plastics so the construction would have to be a series of layers.

It's probably best to just give 'ol ZG a call and have him send a set of their cards.

-Ash

·
Premium Member
8,968 Posts
Have toyed around with the idea, but have not crossed the threshold to R&D or prototype yet (obviously). Would be quite a few nuances to work out in my head beforehand, and as Ash pointed out one of my other hesitations has been making it feasible from a time & materials standpoint.

That said, I imagine at some point I'll get off my arse and prototype something (at least for the ST).

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
LOL. I love me some dumplings too. Nice tool!

Oh, there is a time limit on how long you can edit your posts, before they become read only. I edited it for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts