Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well the drama continues, I'm pretty much ready to pull the thing and send it back. When the engine is running there is a heavy engine speed related whine (actually worse on CD than radio). I'm using the factory ground and power leads from the factory wiring harness. There was no whine with the factory radio, this makes no sense. Usually this is a grounding issue, but since I am tapped right into the factory ground, I don't know.

Maybe I will call Crutchfield support again, but this has taken up way too much of my time/resources for what should have been a simple upgrade :mad:

· Registered
207 Posts
Sorry to hear of the troubles! I recall (vaguely) my second car -- 1987 wrangler and when I put in a stereo in it I had an engine whirring noise in the speakers. Radio Shack sold me what I want to say was a "capacitor" which I think I lined between the stereo and the speakers. It was a small cylinder plugged in via rca plugs. Anyway, it worked perfectly.

Sorry this is short on details -- It's been a long time since early 1990s.. You probably saw this link but I'd say reach out to crutcfield since radio shack is NLA... good luck --

· Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Pbfender15 Yeah, I read through that, but thanks. Again, everything seems to point to grounding issues, but using the same grounds as the factory, so seems odd to me. I'll disconnect the Antenna and see if it helps I guess. They also mention the amp chassis shouldn't be grounded. The factory amp is mounted to the seat box with no isolation, so I can try unscrewing it and making sure it is not touching metal, but again, why no issue with the factory head unit?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts