Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1008 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

its an odd thread..... but i am trying to get some feedback if anyone here has a: AP ROO rubber-clad. (if you know what that means, then i am half way there) =) i think i want a 44mm silver face or the safari version.

anyone?

thanks,
keith

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I don't but its a good choice. I'd prefer a black dial :)

hi all,

its an odd thread..... but i am trying to get some feedback if anyone here has a: AP ROO rubber-clad. (if you know what that means, then i am half way there) =) i think i want a 44mm silver face or the safari version.

anyone?

thanks,
keith

·
Mendicant
7,766 Posts
They can be had for 14-18k

That brings up a question I have though. I was thinking about getting something nice for myself at the end of the deployment. It seems that you can waste several thousand just by buying at the wrong place, since some places have much higher mark-ups.

Obviously watches at this price point don't get sold for "discounts" but how do you "buy right?" I know more about Rovers than watches.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
Jim,

Upon your return, come visit, I take you to couple of places I 've done business if you want.

Watches are like any other valuable item Guns / Cars.. there are guidelines/ books with values to be used.

And actually , watches at these levels can indeed be had for discounts, I know for a fact a 25k watch was bought for 17k ( brand new/ papers/ box and the nice cup of coffee while doing the transaction )

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Easy. Go to the store and pick what you want, then go here to buy it when you get home. I have bought several watches here. You can save thousands by getting a second hand watch that is brand new. People have addictions to watches and collecting them. After a while (maybe just days) of having a watch in their safe, they find another and trade in. That's when I buy them.

http://www.capetowncorp.com/

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Obviously watches at this price point don't get sold for "discounts" but how do you "buy right?" I know more about Rovers than watches.
Depends on what you want. I ordered an Omega from the AAFES online site and used one of those sweet 25%-off coupons. I waited and waited but it was still backordered and never showed.

I ended up canceling it and looking at Rolex instead. I went to a local dealer at the mall and found a steel Submariner Date that I really liked. I asked the lady if she would cut me a deal and she said no way. I went to the other dealer in town, same watch at the same price. Asked him for a deal and he knocked $400 off. Sold. Love the watch.

·
Premium Member
15,108 Posts
Personally, I would get a daytona -- I have one I inherited 1970ish daytona oyster -- never wear it as it is worth more than my defender.

But as others have said, you can get that watch for about half of list if you look around -- or at least so sayeth the internet.

JimC, there are a bunch of reputable places that are non-official dealers who sell the usual good watches for discounted prices. The thing to look out for is that they keep the serial numbers on them, not that ones without are stolen, but it is quite tacky to have them ground off as is common when they are grey market imports.

I got my omega from these guys and bought a gift watch from them too www.authenticwatches.com I was happy with both transactions.

Ron

·
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
16,553 Posts
i am trying to get some feedback if anyone here has a: AP ROO rubber-clad.
anyone?

thanks,
keith
If I recall, that's all that Arnold Schwarzenneger ever wears. If the site that Ron posted is from Encino, CA, I think I used them once for my brother's watch with the same results. They don't even open the box, so your warranty card will likely be blank for point of purchase. Not really a problem, but a watch store/repair shop will look at you funny when you want to get something worked on.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
Nice I have a Paul newman Edition , I wear it here an there.

Like the Sub a lot more for everyday

Personally, I would get a daytona -- I have one I inherited 1970ish daytona oyster -- never wear it as it is worth more than my defender.

But as others have said, you can get that watch for about half of list if you look around -- or at least so sayeth the internet.

JimC, there are a bunch of reputable places that are non-official dealers who sell the usual good watches for discounted prices. The thing to look out for is that they keep the serial numbers on them, not that ones without are stolen, but it is quite tacky to have them ground off as is common when they are grey market imports.

I got my omega from these guys and bought a gift watch from them too www.authenticwatches.com I was happy with both transactions.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I am a Panerai guy myself. I like its' military heritage, like the Defender. I also have several Rolex that I wear, my favorite being the stainless SeaDweller. Dwellers are like subs, but beefed up a bit. It is supposed to be the strongest and toughest Rolex ever built, although it has recently been discontinued for a larger dial version which is impractical due to weight.

Here are mine:

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
^Big Panerai fan myself and love that collection ^

The AP Roo's are a sick piece although a bit above my budget. I have worn one for a day and was in love. Below is a link to another forum I frequent that has a great watch section. The guy with these for sale is a jeweler that has a really good reputation and lots of the other watch nuts on the site shop with him quite often...

http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/48652-2-brand-new-ap-roo-rubberclads-sale.html

C-

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Nice...me too. I've got a 73 (my birth year) Daytona Newman. Im a Panerai guy myself as well. 279 all titanium daily, a 112, and an 005 somewhere in the drawer. Rolex GMT as the first nice watch I ever bought, which seems to be the norm with land rover/porsche guys.

Nice I have a Paul newman Edition , I wear it here an there.

Like the Sub a lot more for everyday

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Keith,
I'm in the diamond wholesale business. I also can search the world for watches through my wholesale network. Send me an email if you want my help.
Richardcampbell at gmail dot com

1 - 20 of 1008 Posts