Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave,

Was following that thread until yesterday. I have the T2 turbo, a rebuild is some $300 less than a new, by the time shipping from the UK is factored in. Now I am at the "how much is the not having to worry about it falling apart on a trip" worth point. Hopefully it is the last thing to sort out before my project is done.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
If you have a friend who is talented with a TIG torch he may be able to fix the cracks but I'm not sure what it is actually made of so that may not even be an option. I too would be worried about those cracks. Lets see what the now sleeping east coast brain trust has to say when they roll out of bed in a few hours.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
That looks bad to me. I've got plenty of turbo experience in the import tuner world. Typically cracks in the turbine housing cause boost lag. That large crack through the wastegate flapper seat would for sure cause that. Although it could be welded, depending on your costs you'd be closer to a new turbo. Cast iron has to be pre-heated, back flow purged, and done extremely slow. After that the wastegate flapper seat would need to be machined flat again to ensure a proper seal. There is a good chance that it would crack in the same spots again due to it's brittle nature. Maybe someone has a good turbine housing laying around?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
To me, it wouldnt be worth wondering after repair if/when it was going to blow. Every road trip would be a gamble. Piece of mind for a few hundred more makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
try defenders north west, a customer sourced a new t2 for less than a grand, while purchasing from the paddock, shipping to the us and customs would have put a singe unit in about 1500 dollar range.
that crack looks small but when you add the heat from the exhaust it grows, thus impeding failure.
in third world countries I have seen welding of said fails but only because sourcing such parts is akin to pulling teeth with out pain killers.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Pull a KKK out of old Porsche 930...that mill won't know what hit it...

All joking aside, could you find a similar Garret that may have been more prevalent in the US and thus cheaper...with a manual boost adjustment isnt that the main issue..boost pressure?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Pull a KKK out of old Porsche 930...that mill won't know what hit it...

All joking aside, could you find a similar Garret that may have been more prevalent in the US and thus cheaper...with a manual boost adjustment isnt that the main issue..boost pressure?
Turbos are sensitive to a lot of configurations, they all don't pump out boost in any car in any condition. Wheel sizing, A/R ratio and Trim need to be tailored to the application.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Turbos are sensitive to a lot of configurations, they all don't pump out boost in any car in any condition. Wheel sizing, A/R ratio and Trim need to be tailored to the application.
I figured there was some technical aspects, but wasn't exactly sure...thx

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
pardon my spell check it is meant to have read "impending failure", not impeding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.