Defender Source Forum banner
901 - 902 of 902 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 · (Edited)
I noticed the M51 Range Rover (P38 2.5), which shares the clutch housing with the M52 Defender, has a clutch pipe that goes up and over from the slave cylinder on the right hand side to the left side. So that's helpful for the LHD truck. The bracket is NLA, but I found one with the pipe on eBay UK (I'll make a new pipe in stainless steel). I figured out the bracket mounts on the lower starter bolt and the flange is too wide on the Denso starter I have from the M54. So it needs a starter with a narrow flange like this Bosch starter for an M50. The P38 M51 starter would work of course, but it doesn't have a terminal 30h on it (so you'd need to crimp a larger ring terminal onto that wire to connect it to the field terminal.)

Now I'll just need to figure out the fittings for the hose to the bulkhead pipe. The P38 hose has 12mm x 1.0 fittings on each end. The NAS Defender hose has 7/16-20 fittings. I'll have to check the length required as well when I get it fitted to the truck to see if a stock hose would be possible. If not, then I'll have a custom hose with the M12 fitting on one end and 7/16-20 on the other.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #902 ·
Here's a small update. I have such limited time for the project with school, work, and homework.

I rebuilt the starter. It's pretty similar to the V8 one pictured in the 93 NAS workshop manual. Of course it's so simple instructions aren't really necessary. Land Rover's instructions call for three different kinds of grease, that aren't readily available to consumers. I used synthetic moly grease on the planetary gears and bearings, and regular Lucas green on the pivot lever. After I assembled it I tested it and it works good. :) I would have bought a new one, but this older style without the threaded flanges is not available from Bosch anymore. (The only new replacements I found are made in China.)

901 - 902 of 902 Posts