Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Ive said it before, but great job! I love seeing this come together--thanks for sharing.

Did you do anything to protect the aluminum tub before using the stainless rivets? Stainless is actually further away from aluminum than regular steel on the galvanic chart so it turns the aluminum into the sacrificial anode (that lovely white powder it turns aluminum into). I typically used a mylar washer at least with bolts. Wondering what you used... (https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-flowing-sea-water-at-ambient_fig17_279363598 )

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Science is science and it is scientific fact that the two are separated from each other far enough to encourage galvanic corrosion--however you do need the presence of an electrolyte for the flow of electrons to take place. I use my truck on the road in the winter and we spray in CO with mag chloride which is a very effective electrolyte. The fact that some folks have had no issue is just fine--and in a dry location, all the better. I wasn't bashing or raising an alarm--I just use, out of habit, mylar washers when attaching aluminum sheet metal with stainless fasteners and was curious what you use. I have heard of a substance called tef-gel and was wondering if that was what you used as I have wanted to try it before (and I didn't see any washer). But you have already stated that you don't drive it or expose it to electrolytes and that you are fine with it--so cool--no worries at all on this end and you will most likely be just fine... My door bottoms are starting to bubble from galvanic corrosion caused by the contact between the aluminum skin and the steel frame (and regular low carbon steel is closer to aluminum on the chart than stainless steel...)---I think we are all aware of that symptom...so I am pretty sure it happen to quite a number of folks and those that say it really doesn't happen might just be incorrect....

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
They switched two years after I built the truck to using mag chloride in Colorado and I have been fighting rust on my chassis and bulkhead ever sense. I could have galvanized my chassis 15 years ago when I had the truck completely apart and the chassis completely separated and I kick myself every year for not doing that. I hate hate hate rust. Your truck looks amazing and your attention to detail is phenomenal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts