Defender Source Forum banner
881 - 896 of 896 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #882 ·
It's been taking some time with the machine shop for the engine rebuild. They were really backed up. It turned out I needed to source a new head because the one on the engine was too warped. I got another one at a self service wrecking yard from an E39 528i with 84k miles. It was in good shape. The machine shop gave it a cleaning, a minimal deck to make a perfect flat sealing surface, and a valve job. I'll install new stem seals and transfer the springs over from the old head.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #887 ·
I got the rest of the engine parts back from the machine shop. They seem to do good work. Just really slow, but you'd expect a good shop to be busy. I got some engine paint I'll use on the block. I'll just have to clean it good first. They refurbished the head, bored the block, cleaned the sump and timing cover, and polished the crank & cams.

Oversized pistons

New bearings. These are standard size. I may need to get a few green color ones. I'll check the clearances. They are color coded from BMW to make minor corrections. Yellow is standard, green is slightly undersized, and white a little more. These are from the OEM Kolbenschmidt and their catalogue shows these covering the full size range of the colors. The green and white ones are only available from BMW and they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
I'm starting to round up parts for ABS. It's been quite a few years now ABS has been required equipment on new cars, so it must be doing something good. I'll get LSDs for the diffs later. Probably the Ashcroft ATBs. I know the Wabco modulators can be problematic (3 amigos), but hopefully I got a good one out of a Disco II today. The connector on it is labeled August 2013 (13 08 13) so it appears it got a new valve kit. I did some continuity and ohm tests on it with the multimeter and it looks good. Not a bad deal for $73.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I'm starting to round up parts for ABS. It's been quite a few years now ABS has been required equipment on new cars, so it must be doing something good. I'll get LSDs for the diffs later. Probably the Ashcroft ATBs. I know the Wabco modulators can be problematic (3 amigos), but hopefully I got a good one out of a Disco II today. The connector on it is labeled August 2013 (13 08 13) so it appears it got a new valve kit. I did some continuity and ohm tests on it with the multimeter and it looks good. Not a bad deal for $73.

ooooooooooooooh baby! I can't wait to see how this goes!!!!!! I have wanted to do this forever!

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #892 ·
I read somewhere that the disco11 ABS units can be made to fit a defender.

how's the rebuild coming on?
Yes, the Disco 2 ABS unit just needs to be plumbed for the Defender because the unit itself is the same.

The project is currently on hold because I've resumed full time classes at the University. I also have to finish work on my mother's car for her. I'll get back to work on this as time allows. Perhaps I can finish the engine over the winter for installation in the spring.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 ·
This project has taken so long without being completed and the future comes sooner than we anticipate. I have a Hyundai Kona Electric rental right now because the BMW is in the shop and I really like it! So I'm thinking staying with a combustion engine is a mistake now that we are headed into an electric future. Billions of dollars have been allocated to constructing new EV charging stations in the infrastructure bill and petrol & diesel filling stations will start vanishing over the next decade as automakers stop making petrol & diesel powered vehicles. I think I will continue the project as planned for now, but as funds allow I will convert it to electric. I'm sure there will be EV kits mass produced for these old Land Rovers since they are so popular.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #895 ·
Yeah, I’ll wait until the conversion parts are available so I don’t have to custom fab anything. The electric crate motor from Ford looks good to me. Plenty of power for a D90. The press release says they’ll be developing stuff to go with it “including battery systems, controllers and traction inverters to close the loop on full turnkey aftermarket electrification solutions.”

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I think it's pretty cool that Ford is selling crate motors. Great way to build the ecosytem and enthusiast community. These things enable insane 0-60 times with their full torque at 0 rpm performance. Of course, the hard part is energy storage. Hard to beat the energy density of a ~10 gallon plastic tub filled with gasoline.

881 - 896 of 896 Posts