Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
How do you stay so well-coiffed during a motor pull?

I cant do a thing with my hair...

Nice Bimmer.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
Gold Plug magnetics are nice. I now have one for my 7.3

Andrew, your LT looks pretty good from the quick view inside.
I'd do like Ron suggested and run cheap oil in it at the beginning and then change it.

We once had a ROAV club member who drove back to Virginia from WV on a few teaspoons of oil in the LT if I remember correctly...

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
I fixed a broken port on the fuel vapour separator with some heavy duty adhesive heat shrink (with a little tape around it to make sure the glue doesn't close it up). Is that a purge valve? Before I put it back together I tried blowing in it both ways but air wouldn't go through. Does that mean it's bad or just needs more pressure to open than I can blow? (Edit: Okay, according to the workshop manual, the pressure relief valve opens when the pressure in the separator reaches between 5 and 7 Kpa.) I'm not sure if it's related, but one time I filled the tank with gas one of the valves on top came out and gas spilled out. I hope that doesn't happen again.

^^ Andrew, what size are the 2 screws that mount the small vapor tank to the tub?? ^^

I've lost my screws AND I see yours are readily accesible :)

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
^^ Thanks! ^^

I dont recall my vapor tank screws being in bad shape at all (before I lost them)

The fuel tank/shield screws were a bit rusty, but not terrible.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
I got new inner wings from Rovers North. I decided I wanted these newest plastic ones because they weigh a whole lot less than the old steel ones and they won't cause galvanic corrosion on my new outer wings.
What's the part numbers?
Do they seem like they'll be as strong??

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
I had to take the covers off them to install the heating elements. The covers were custom made for me in NAS car denim by Exmoor. Vinyl twill with grey sides would have been fine though.
You've done a great job on this project, Andrew.

Question: I plan on doing heated seats, too. How do you handle the removeable bottom seat? Is there a quick disconnect?

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
Road salt... and even worse is the brine solution they pretreat our roads with now.

This has become common over the last 7 or 8 years.
In advance of a predicted snowstorm, our city streets and highways will get pre-treated with the brine solution.
You should see the condition of the brine trucks after a few years! LOL

I think road salt and brine must be funded in part by auto manufacturers...:grin

Chip, can you post some eco links from your road salt search?

(sorry to derail)

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
I’m pretty sure I read in a special “how to paint your car” issue of Hot Rod Magazine years ago that to minimize the chance of cat hair in your finish, you should not bring cats into the spray booth.

LOL

Andrew, I think your odometer should start at Zero.
That way you can reflect your true miles on this total rebuild!
Also, wait as long as you can before assembling the painted panels as the paint cures and gets much tougher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts