Defender Source Forum banner

801 - 816 of 816 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Alright Chip, it’s been like what, five years now? Feels like ten. So let’s get this deal wrapped up and on the trail before the new Defender loses 60% of its resale value. Or I’ll have to start making fun of your cat again. Btw, the red and galvy looks great together.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #803 (Edited)
I got it installed. I drilled an extra hole in each mount and then I moved the bulkhead forward a little by taking out a couple washers I had on the mounting bolts. I think that'll be fine. I used the SS fixing kit from Rovers North. It doesn't come with spring washers so I had to add those and my only complaint is that the screws are a little extra long. Better to keep sourcing each individual screw myself I guess. :p Also, the passenger side seat belt reel from Land Rover is wrong for the soft top. I had to sand tabs off of it and enlarge the mounting hole. It must be for a station wagon. It's AWR4316. The driver's side one is correct (AWR4656). Looks like the correct RH one is NLA. Actually, just entered the LH one at RN's website and it's NLA now too.

·
Administrator
11,721 Posts
No, you keep this pace up Chip - it's giving me hope I'll still get back to my build and beat you :D

Truck looks great!

Alright Chip, it’s been like what, five years now? Feels like ten. So let’s get this deal wrapped up and on the trail before the new Defender loses 60% of its resale value. Or I’ll have to start making fun of your cat again. Btw, the red and galvy looks great together.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
How's that look? :)

I installed the Puma undercovers too. They're really nice.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
my only complaint is that the screws are a little extra long. Better to keep sourcing each individual screw myself I guess. :p
I think that goes with the territory with these originally hand-built vehicles. Case in point: on mine, I couldn't get the door card clips to engage on the upper front corner (right where the mirror mounts). The reason? The mirror mount bolts extended too far, preventing the card from seating flush. But, if I got bolts 10mm shorter, they would have been too short. I ended up grinding down the bolts so they were almost flush with the nuts, and grinded out bit of clearance on the inside of the door card so that everything would fit.

This is looking really fantastic, BTW. I was hoping to see it at the ABFM; I guess next year. :)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #807
Yeah, there isn't a whole lot on these trucks that goes together how you'd expect them to, but maybe that's just unrealistic expectations. :)

I was hoping to have it ready for the ABFM this year. I'm anticipating having it there next year.

·
Premium Member
7,132 Posts
Yeah, there isn't a whole lot on ALL BRITISH MOTOR VEHICLES that goes together how you'd expect them to, but maybe that's just unrealistic expectations. :)
Better

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #810 (Edited)
I got the rear lights installed. I put LED bulbs in the CHMSL. It works!

I used the newer version plinths for the round lights that have the foam backing on them to help protect the paint (part # LR009773) and I got some stainless fixings from the hardware store.

I drilled holes in the crossmember to install the reflectors. I made them a little smaller than the plastic grommets so they're a tight fit and I put some zinc rich paint on the holes for corrosion protection. After I got them on I realized they are different. There is a left and a right. I think I got them mixed up, but I don't think it matters. I don't think I could get them off easily without breaking them. So there's another instance where the parts catalogue is wrong because it only lists a single part number for them and says quantity 2. I don't have a NAS Disco 1 parts catalogue to see if that's wrong too, but the online RoW catalogues only show a single part.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
After some trial and error I figured out the easy way to fish the harness through the chassis. The forward hole is only about 1.2 inches wide so the first thing you want to do is take photos of the connector housings on the front section so you know how they are wired, and then remove them. The pins eject easily from the Sumitomo connector housings, but not from the TE/BMW connector housing. I had to cut that one off. The replacement is BMW part # 61138367076. And the pins are female 2.5 mm system. Also remove the zip tie mounting clips because they won't fit through the hole if you leave them on. You can use a small tool to open the catch so you can put them back on later. Then fish the wire running rod (such as this one from Harbor Freight) through the chassis and tape the front end of the harness to it at the rear of the chassis. Then you can carefully work the harness forward through the chassis. Work a little at a time at each end to keep it moving freely. Then after you've gotten it through you can take the tape off and put the connector housings back on. (Note that this is a 2001 year harness. Others are similar.)

Beforehand I added wiring for the rear speakers and also a tailgate switch, as well as the rear side lights tied in with the tail lamps. I used 1.5 mm2 size wiring for the speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I have one of those Harbor Freight fiberglass fishing rods; they're pretty slick.

What part # did you use for the rear reflectors? The NAS ones were AMR2076, but the ones available now have through-screw holes, which the 97's didn't have.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #814
I have one of those Harbor Freight fiberglass fishing rods; they're pretty slick.

What part # did you use for the rear reflectors? The NAS ones were AMR2076, but the ones available now have through-screw holes, which the 97's didn't have.
Yeah it worked pretty well.

I don't have a part number for the rear reflectors. I took them off a Disco 1. They're the same ones as on a 95 and 97 D90. The parts catalogue lists AMR4093. I don't know if that's for the left or the right. The superseded part (NTC5101) has an adhesive backing and doesn't look the same. It lists the grommet as AMR4094 and that's correct. It comes in a package of 5. AMR2076 is correct for the 94 D90. Those are the Rubbolite ones. The 95 and 97 reflectors are Perei. I switched all the exterior lighting to 95/97 spec so I wanted the reflectors to match.

·
Registered
466 Posts
How's that look? :)

I installed the Puma undercovers too. They're really nice.

Chip, what are the puma under covers and what do they do? Are they easy to install or do they require modification to fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
Chip, what are the puma under covers and what do they do? Are they easy to install or do they require modification to fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they just give a more finished look to the underside and offer some protection. I think it will help keep them a little more dry. They attach to the Puma battery and tool boxes. I don't know if you could easily attach them to older boxes. I got the new Puma seat base so I figured why not.

801 - 816 of 816 Posts