Defender Source Forum banner

781 - 800 of 816 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #781 (Edited)
Dig’n the galvy...
Did you separate the cappings from the Al?
They're separated with paint and zinc. Better than what Land Rover did. What would you have done? Or do you mean the rivets, like Tef-Gel? Nope. I'm not concerned about future corrosion since the truck won't see any salt and probably not much rain either.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
I ran into an unexpected issue when I was installing the tunnel diaphragm back onto the bulkhead. You know how it secures using the square plastic lokuts (captive nuts) with screws. Well, I selected the Torx screws from the Puma catalogue without realizing they are longer than the old Phillips screws, so they bottom out in the lokut causing the lokut to twist. The Torx screws are 1" long, while the Phillips screws are 3/4" long. The tunnel diaphragm on the Puma must be at least 1/4" more thick. I thought about what to do, and I would prefer to use the Torx screws, so I think drilling a hole in the end of the lokut will solve the issue. I was unable to find suitable 3/4" long Torx screws. I also found lokuts that have an open end from ADL-Components in the UK, so I bought some. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Original lokut with Torx screw, and also the open-ended lokut:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
Not running yet, but it's going back together. I figured I would start at the rear and move my way forward.

I have a little issue I'm not sure what to do about. The backing/capping for the tailgate came back from the galvanizer a little warped. I figured it straightened out when I riveted it to the frame, but when I put it on the truck the lower left corner sticks out a little, but just a little. Then I after I installed the tire carrier it sticks out a lot. I'm pretty certain I have the tire carrier mounted correctly. Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Also, it was a little challenging holding the tire carrier up, the upper hinge reinforcement plate, and trying to put bolts through it at the same time. Two rivets for the cappings where in the way also, so I drilled them out and decided to just put them back on through the plate. So I temporarily put bolts through it to hold it in place, drilled out the holes, and riveted it. :)

Also, does anyone know what mounts onto the tailgate using the two holes between the tire carrier and left side of the 3rd light bar? Am I missing a part for the tire carrier? Would that be ANR3100 (female catch bracket)? Because it looks like I don't have that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love the Monza Red. It always looked kind of Orange/red to me. Very cool reading through this thread!

When looking at the tailgate pictures there is rubber gasket sticking out from the tailgate, do you know what that’s called? I need to get a replacement for mine and thought I might as well ask rather than tying to describe to RN, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #787 (Edited)
Hey Jtharp90, do you mean the seal on the side? That's just door seal. I got one for a front station wagon door and cut it to fit because it cost less than ordering the original part numbers (one was enough for both sides with extra to spare). I kept the old ones so I could match them. On the lower part it's cut out a little (you'll see what I'm talking about when you have one in front of you.) Is yours Monza too?

Thanks evilfij, so it is that part I'm missing. I guess I'd need to take the tailgate apart again if I was going to try bending it. I don't want to crack the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #788 (Edited)
I got it pretty good now. I couldn't bend it very well with my hands, but I remembered the truck was rear-ended before and they just hit the tire, but it bent the carrier, so that was the issue with installing the new carrier. I put a couple washers under the lower bolt holes on the arm that attaches to the tailgate. I guess I should have got a new tailgate, but this is fine.

I guess I'll have to make one of those female catch brackets unless someone has one they'd want to part with. The truck didn't have a 3rd brake light bar installed when I bought it so whoever took that off took the bracket off with it.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
This is what I mean. It’s actually on the back of the tailgate. I had to get mine back to snap a photo. There’s suppose to be a rubber gasket or stopper there but mines missing, do you know what part that is?
NLA
If someone finds and alternate I’m in for one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You’ve got to be kidding me?!? I thought this was gonna be no big deal. My whole damn spare tire rocks because of it according to the mechanic.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I made this from parts sourced at a hardware store about 14 years ago.
One rubber stopper/foot and one threaded plate.
I used washers to space out the stopper to get a decent preload on the tire carrier.
The rubber is starting to split;however, I can replace it for about $1

Tootles!

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks good. What is the original part called? Why the hell is my entire tailgate rattling because of that one little piece?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #797 (Edited)
Oh that little rubber stopper. A new one came with the tire carrier I bought from another forum member. I don't know if it's the original NLA part they got while they were still available or if they found one that looks just like it.

------ Follow up post added August 12th, 2019 01:04 AM ------

I got the rear seat and seat belts installed. It was challenging because the truck never had a rear seat installed and since it’s a 94 it didn’t have any holes drilled or brackets installed. I was able to get the seat brackets from another forum member, but I wasn’t able to source the seat belt brackets so I had to fabricate those. I used the rubber mat and the rough dimensions given in the rear seat installation manual to approximate where to mount the feet brackets. I drilled the holes and I riveted the nut plates on. The forward hole goes through the steel tub support beam and I got it a little too close to the part that sticks down so I had to sand the nuts plates down a little to fit. So it would be better to drill the holes from beneath if you could figure out where to drill them. I don’t have a photo of what it looks like on trucks that came with those pre-installed. I used regular rivets and the head sticks up of course so I placed large washers over the holes to accommodate for them so the brackets sit flat. Did LR use countersunk rivets for those?

The lower seat belt brackets that go on the outside of the tub have just one mounting hole so that’s how I designed these and I don’t know if those are bolted or riveted from the factory, but I riveted them. I think it would be better with 2 rivets to hold it better, but I guess it’s just suppose to hold it while you’re tightening it together.

The rear speaker pods had some cracks and little chunks missing on the bottom so I repaired and reinforced them with fiberglass. I think they turned out well, but you can’t see where I repaired them anyways since I cut the rubber mat to cover the bottom. I had to drill new holes for them since they’re for a 95+ and I installed 4 mm rivet nuts. I wasn’t sure what to do about the old holes, so I put new rivet nuts in those too and just put screws in them.

I installed 6 mm rivet nuts for the rear number plate and tailgate bar clips.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
Another thing I did was install all pan head Torx screws on the rear so I don't have any hex or phillips head screws showing on the outside of the truck. I think that looks nicer. BelMetric seems to be a good source for them and McMaster-Carr for the smaller ones.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #800
I'm trying to install the seatbase and the chassis mount holes don't line up. They're suppose to right? The tub won't go back any farther. Should I drill an extra hole in the chassis mount?

Here are some of the things I did to get it ready to install. I made brackets for the fuse box (MY99 to early Puma). The seatbase is the newest Puma version so it has 4 studs for the large fuse box. I made one bracket to attach to one of those and then I riveted the other bracket to the side of the box. I also riveted the latches on and the rivet nuts for the seats. The latter required a good amount of strength. :)

781 - 800 of 816 Posts