Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the attached picture, is there supposed to be a black rubber piece/shroud the covers up the (vertical) white pieces of aluminum running from the floor boards to the bottom of the dash? The driver side looks the same.

There are probably proper names to describe everything I just mentioned, but my Defender vocabulary still needs work.

image-2588118012.jpg

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes there is supposed to be the same type of black rubber matting that covers that section of the bulkhead/firewall that surrounds the fuse box as you have on the transmission tunnel.

I also have a 1994 and the passenger side is original and started to crack/crumble. My guess is a previous owner experienced that and removed it entirely.

I just started looking for replacements and there are no simple answers. Does not look like anyone has an original/new version of this piece, none that I can find at least. Does also not look to be much in aftermarket options either.

It does serve a purpose to reduce noise and heat.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Genuine is available. It just now has an extra hole for a hood pull.

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, no joke it's pricey! After seeing that this has been converted to a nice to have item, not a must have. I also need a rubber cover for the trans tunnel so maybe I'll start by throwing this out as a WTB thread. Probably a long shot but I'll see if anybody has some acceptable used ones.

·
Premium Member
10,805 Posts
It must be possible to track down a similar or better material available in the USA to do the same job......at less expense...

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Get in line. I've had a want ad forever on this.

It is expensive but unless you switch it al to the weight off road version it is your best option for stock.

·
Registered
88' 110
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get in line. I've had a want ad forever on this. It is expensive but unless you switch it al to the weight off road version it is your best option for stock.
What's the story on the off road version? Is it something different all together...more expensive?

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2015 09:54 AM ------

It must be possible to track down a similar or better material available in the USA to do the same job......at less expense...
I get the feeling that Line-X is the less expensive USA version...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts