Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this a well traveled road but looking for some input in troubleshooting an issue I am having.
200tdi in 94 110
I added a VDO tach a while back, connecting to original alternator. Worked no problems.
Recently installed the bripart 120 amp alternator.
Initially all seemed well. Charging at 14.3V even with moderate loads (rear defrost, heater fan on, etc) and no tach anomalies

now I am getting correct 14.3v charging about 90% time And very little tach function. Mostly reads zero, high rpms it will bounce around a little but never right. When it seems like it isn’t charging all I get on my voltage gauge is battery, 12.3-12.8v. Load changing doesn’t seem to impact (switching on rear defrost,etc)

my question to the gang is are these two related? Ideas on troubleshooting?
i thought it was belt slipping issues but it is pretty taught and I can visibly see the alternator spinning while it isnt charging and showing no rpm.

thanks

·
Registered
1988 ROW 110 From w/ LS3 6L80E
126 Posts
Sounds like the voltage regulator. Had similar sporadic issues with my old alt.. swapped the regulator on it for about 10 bucks on eBay and solved it. If it's under warranty maybe just swap it out to not take chances and go from there

·
Super Moderator
12,638 Posts
You could have a loose sense wire or connection in the sense circuit or the alternator is bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could have a loose sense wire or connection in the sense circuit or the alternator is bad.
Thanks guys. Dumb question...would the sense circuit not working account for the tach issue? Or is sense only related to charge function? my intermittent breaks down something like this;
70% charging no tach
20% charging with tach
10% no charge no tach
No rhyme or reason to those conditions (hot, cold, battery load, time running, rpm, etc)

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are asking but, if it's having issues charging the tach output may be impacted.

Takes about 15min to remove the alt, take it to AutoZone to get it tested.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Did remove the alternator? As I just found why my tach was not working, the ring crimp connector thats under the plastic cover moves as you tighten up the nut on D+ which grounds out the regulator and makes the tach not worky but jumpy.
if you have marks on the reg as in the picture thats what happened to me, new reg and alls well
rangie alt.jpg
rangie alt.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
No clue why three pictures?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I appreciate the ideas. I’ll yank it off this weekend and give it a test. Then make an attempt at Britpart warranty😀 if it’s faulty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts