Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the seals on my alpine windows and rear windows. Any suggestions on where to buy them other than the UK and pay the high price of shipping? I would like to buy a roll of both the seal and locking cord and just cut to length as needed. I have 5mm glass in both places, I have a 1986 110. I checked for older posts and did not find much, maybe I did not look hard enough.

thanks
Scott

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
I went Brit part and bearmach on my alpine windows, even broke a window and never got it installed. Got genuine seals and was done in 10 minutes, no leaks. Go genuine. This is ONE part that I’m never going off brand. If RN is same quality and Durometer properties then I’d be fine with that …. But I’d ask Zack at RN first. It can be a horrible or piece of cake job.

·
Super Moderator
13,656 Posts
Having a locking tool helps a lot. Use lots of lube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have done both side in my 2002 110 td5 (2) (green / black mold is a bad thing here); times in the past 18 years,
Never drill out a rivet until you have (new) both small machine screws that hold fast the sliding divider. Replace all of the rubber, 4 pieces of felt are need for each window.
I use Paddock spares, Rimmer Brothers and Island.4x4 and Bearmach from time to time and E-Bay

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
877 Posts
I used to own a glass company and have done this job at least a dozen times over the years for myself and my friends. The gasket tool makes all the difference. Also, a cheap set of plastic trim tools are helpful. I would avoid a screwdriver as you can tear the rubber. I know someone else listed a gasket tool. I have found this one works better. Don't use spray lube or WD 40. A good glass cleaner works best as a lube. It will allow you to slide the tool through the channel and fit the glass and will evaporate after a bit. make sure you cut the gasket and locking strip longer than needed and work it into place. The stuff they sell at RN by the foot works well. OME gasket channel is nice but not worth the money for this application IMHO. I attached a few pictures of my last install. I actually cut alpines into a military roof for my current truck. That was fun! NOT! hahaha BOL with the repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rovers north price on the alpine window seal and lock is $3.95 per foot.
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts