Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a fire in my 1986 rhd xmod resulting from bad grounds on the engine. Insurance isn't covering anything and the entire harness cooked. Other than the harness, there's only damage to the console where I ripped it off to put the fire out. It's an original 2.5na engine and transmission with 168k miles on it.
I'm trying to determine what effort it would be to fix including replacement harness to see if it's worth doing or if I consider this a sign from the Rover gods and move on.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
harness is an easy job on that engine. You can find take off ones on ebya.co.uk for cheap

Why aren't they covering anything ? who was the insurer and what was your coverage?

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Oh, this is definitely a sign.

Move on.

How much ya want for the truck?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA! I appreciate the mix of encouragement and humor. I'm just frustrated now with the insurance company. It's completely undrinkable and they've been absolute dicks. How many hours are we talking about to replace the entire harness? Any idea what other damage could have been done?

As far as dumping the truck, if you're willing to come to Columbus OH to get it, we can work something out. I'll try and dig up pictures (currently at the insurance shop). It's got a clean title and a new safety devices roll cage and an all wheel trim soft top. I've also got the original hard top and rear door.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
You should really review your policy as to why it will not be covered, and if it would have been covered had this been a complete loss due to the fire.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
All kidding aside, the effort involved to replace the harness isn't going to be monumental. I'm willing to bet that there is going to be some melty stuff to clean up along the way, and likely some time spent looking at the wiring diagram to determine in which general direction the harness was routed and connected, and likely a few questions to post on here for clarification.
But if it's only the engine harness, there isn't all that much to it.
Post pix !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was the engine harness as well as the main harness under the dash.
That's why I'm frustrated with insurance... they're claiming it's "all one thing".
Truck is currently at the shop where they're looking for creative ways to bend me over. I'll try and get there tomorrow for pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
If you dont trust that shop, take it somewhere else.
Fight with them.

Isn't Chris Ray/ mud ruts in the Columbus OH area?

As far as dumping the truck, if you're willing to come to Columbus OH to get it, we can work something out. I'll try and dig up pictures (currently at the insurance shop). It's got a clean title and a new safety devices roll cage and an all wheel trim soft top. I've also got the original hard top and rear door.
Hmmm....Columbus isn't too far from me....:whistling:

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Contact the state level Ombudsman office.

Seriously fight these fuckers

------ Follow up post added July 10th, 2015 11:09 AM ------

Id say 3 hours to build the engine harness from scratch. I made mine when rebuilding my 200tdi.

Dash harness is a different story, id buy a used one, again they are easy to come by. Prob 6 hrs to do that if you have never before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I'd let the fire burn everything that burned would have been covered. I decided I wanted to put the fire out so they're only covering a bit of the dash that melted (and where I ripped the dash off to put it out).. Minus deductible of course.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
In any case, sounds like a good excuse to convert it to LHD if it isn't already! :)
Agree.

And update the fuse box if it has the old glass style fuses.

And add another fuse box for items like radio, lights, etc.

It took me a while to do the wiring on my build but it is one of those things that if you do it you will gain solid if not complete knowledge of your rig. And the nice thing about the 2.5 is it isn't all that complex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts