Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an AC upgrade (no AC to some AC) in an 88 3.5 V8 110. One option I am looking into is a 94 NAS takeoff version. What will be my fitment issues?

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
I am looking for an AC upgrade (no AC to some AC) in an 88 3.5 V8 110. One option I am looking into is a 94 NAS takeoff version. What will be my fitment issues?
20 year old worn parts with limited spares availability ...

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback thus far, but will a 1994 NAS AC system fit my 1988 110 with a v8? What kind of modifications should I anticipate if any?

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Thanks for the feedback thus far, but will a 1994 NAS AC system fit my 1988 110 with a v8? What kind of modifications should I anticipate if any?
As long as the 88 is LHD then you should be OK - physically. You'll probably need to use the AC compressor mount and tensioner from the 94 at a guess. The belt drive should be OK.

You'll need an over temp sensor in the water hose ... either use a x-eng temp switch in a hose or use the genuine article from the 94.

The wiring is fairly straight forward and any competent auto electrician should be able to figure it out.

If you have the Davia system then prepare to swap in a replacement compressor ... they are NLA and so you should source an alternative and have the appropriate hoses made up. You'll have to do it soon as the original is 20 years old like I mentioned earlier.

The condenser 'radiator' is probably a bit fragile by now ... consider sourcing a replacement.

You'll need a new drier - the canister that goes down on the frame.

The 94 AC connects to the ECU to signal the additional load and let the ECU compensate ... assuming yours in a non-efi you won't have to do this. If yours is EFI then depending on the model you may need to hook it up.

I went through all this crap to retro fit AC to by 95 from a 94. Frankly I would buy a new kit and save myself the hassle. You can get it to work ... but it will break and when it does work it's barely adequate in a 90 and certainly inadequate to cool more than the area around the front seats.

Can it be made to work ... yes ... is it a reasonable approach ... nope!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts