Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am developing A-Pillar Light mounts for the D90/D110 for my truck, and would also like to offer it to the members here for those interested.

The mounts come in pairs, for both the left and right side, and are made of 1/8" steel, powder coated black with a 7/16" light mounting hole. All corners will be rounded. It allows mounting a pair of compact offroad lights on the lower A-Pillar.

Here are photos of the work in progress, just to give you an idea where this is headed. The goal is to price the pair at no more than $40.00

Please let me know if this is of interest to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mount is designed for the smaller quad lights such as the Rigid D2 series or competitive equivalent, and the maximum width before hitting the flaps is 4 1/2".

For those interested in a bigger light, much bigger as a matter of fact, I am in the process of designing mounts that will accommodate a 50" light bar at the base of the windshield, ABOVE the air flaps. Those mounts will attach to the external windshield hinges and allow you to install a light bar that will stretch across the width windshield/hood.

Please stay tuned!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
V.2 of the pillar mounts. Apologies for the crappy photos, they were quickly taken with my phone.

Once the mounts are finalized, I will have them professionally photographed and posted on my website.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Nice idea... a couple of pointers.... you might want to add a small gusset between the light tab & vertical bend. Would prevent any stress cracks in the tab bend from vibration. I'd also radius off the front of the light tab too.

Sort of like this.... keep up the good work :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Andy. Radiuses will be added everywhere. I don't know if the gusset is needed, after all the steel is 1/8" thick, and the entire bracket feels really stout and solid. I will definitely reconsider it though.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Thanks Andy. Radiuses will be added everywhere. I don't know if the gusset is needed, after all the steel is 1/8" thick, and the entire bracket feels really stout and solid. I will definitely reconsider it though.

Visuals play a lot on things like this... might not need it but if it's there it looks 'solid'... also hides the bolt head and is a nice place to put your logo ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about friction between the mount and the vehicle to protect the paint? Just thinking as you open / close the door it might start to wear. Looks good so far. I'm probably down.

What friction are you specifically referring to, I'm not sure I understand. The bracket itself is fixed, just as the door hinge itself would be, if there were no bracket. When the doors are opened and closed, the light brackets are stationary and there shouldn't be any friction. Please elaborate.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Good job ! I have done something similar in the past but at the end of the day I thought it was to jeepish . The squares look better than the round 6" I test fit .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.