Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
For me it is pretty simple.. If there are immigrants already here, contributing to our communities and earning a wage, then give them a tax number so they pay taxes or they can leave--- just like every other place I've been too. Frankly, I'm cool with that. No taxes, then no human services and deportation. I'm paying over 40% of my income in taxes and there are a lot of free loaders riding on my back, legal and illegal.. If you want to be just an immigrant (illegal), I say you still pay taxes but you are not protected by all the services and regulations(including minimum wage). You get the full protection when you get legal.

As far as us all being immigrants-- there once was a time when you can here and wanted to have a fresh start and went out of your way to go through the procedure to be a member of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Stories from my family were about freedom, signing up for citizenship, becoming an American with pride. They signed up, hook line and sinker--and the country needed more people. Truly needed for many reasons including national security, standing armies and economies. Not the same situation.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Is it any different than someone deciding they were going climb through a window and live in your basement. If the police won't remove them and they won't pay rent, would you let them live there? Would you forcibly remove them?

My wife's mother was a legal immigrant, she had to go through the entire process to become an American. Her family would love to live here, but they can't get a visa to come here, nor can they walk across a boarder to get here.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I'm an immigrant & I'm at work.

I'm also legal, and am sick & tired of being lumped in with illegals.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Fully agree on the taxes thing. I personally know some folks who have been here working hard for over a decade and paying taxes all the while. My understanding, based on my understanding of spanish is that you can get a tax ID number from the IRS without much fuss. They are more than happy to take your money.

I think the fear of being caught probably scares alot of illegals off of making such payments and doing other things by the book. Which is to the detriment of our society as a whole.

I'm torn between thinknig that if all these guys are here doing work that legal residents don't want to do, ie.e there is a labor shortage of legal immigrants and we should make it easier for those jobs to be filled legally by those who would otherwise be here illegally. It satisfies the need for the work and gets peoiple into the system where they can pay their fare share of taxes and where we can be protected form stupid **** they would do if they were undocumented like driving sans license, no insurance, etc.

On the other hand, I wonder if the reason "real americans" don't want tohse jobs (purportedly) is because the wages are kept artificially low due to the throngs of illegals willing to do them for less. If we somehow were able to send all of them home, then employers might be forced to pay a reasonable wage to get the work done.

Of course, option A might create an increased demand for wages also due to people no longer willing to accept lower pay in order to keep their head down and hide from ICE.

Anyway, I live in a community that is thick with Salvadorans. Lots of them are here on amnesty granted during their civil war. Some have gotten citizenship. Lots of them came here when they were babies or single digits. Others are here totally undocumented. Most of them are normal people just like us, trying to make something for their families. Some of them are stupid, just like many real americans, and have effed up and been deported. It does happen. And when it does, I can honestly say, "yeah, that was a good call."

·
Premium Member
10,648 Posts
Assuming the US still can revoke citizenship then they and me are still endangered.
Trump likes to ignore so many things including the rule of law.
It is no surprise that recent INS raids were done only in states that voted Democratic.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
This is the dumbest thing ever. It also really clouds the issue between illegal immigrants, legal immigrants, and the travel ban on immigrants from certain countries. Basically any "immigrant" is supposed to protest today?? I guess I'm a fool because I'm at work when my great great grandfather was an immigrant. Dumb.

I also heard Rick Bayless closed four of his retaurants today. Don't surprise me though. I've seen such a white-ass white boy so in love with Mexico.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm not against immigration in general. It's the way the immigrant enters the country that I have issues with.

I attend an Antiochian Orthodox Church. The majority of the people that go there are Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian, and Eritrean. They are humble people that are happy in their new lives here and accept their new home country. They all came here through the legal route from war torn countries and persecution.

I have no issues with any of our southern neighbors that come in the legal way.

What I don't approve of is coming here illegally with their in your face pride waving the Mexican flag like an invading force demanding we learn to speak Spanish.
I'd like to add that I was married to an immigrant from the Philippines and am now dating a girl from Cambodia.
So it's not an immigrant thing with me. Just personality types.

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
An immigrant is a person who comes to another country for permanent residents, legally.
An invader is someone who enters a home or a country illegally. It's a conscious decision made.
Don't get me wrong, I am not cold hearted, to the people that just want better for themselves and their family. Just do it legally.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
An immigrant is a person who comes to another country for permanent residents, legally.
An invader is someone who enters a home or a country illegally. It's a conscious decision made.
Don't get me wrong, I am not cold hearted, to the people that just want better for themselves and their family. Just do it legally.
Thats fucking bullshit.. A conscious decision? Invaders? My grandfather had his entire family slaughtered by the turks and boarded a ship at 13 to come here by himself speaking no english. And this **** is still happening in Syria as we speak. Do you really think these people have a choice? Would you call that 13 year old orphan an invader?

Watch this and tell me thats how you feel.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000004674545/41-miles.html

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
John, we all have stories like that in our families... We all came here to flee oppression, for a new opportunity, for freedom and for a better life. No one has any issues with immigration. Just do it correctly. Vetting people is a responsibility of the leadership in our country, they are here to protect the US citizens.

The law has to be consistent, everyone needs to immigrate the right way. Just because you can walk over the boarder, doesn't mean you should be able to stay. Most of the Mexicans I know, even the illegal ones are very hard workers. But, that isn't the point.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Thats fucking bullshit.. A conscious decision? Invaders? My grandfather had his entire family slaughtered by the turks and bordered a ship at 13 to come here by himself speaking no english. And this **** is still happening in Syria as we speak. Do you really think these people have a choice?
People displaced by war or natural disaster are called refugees.
John we have spoken several times and I have concluded that you are a pillar. Great guy , big heart. Same principal on smaller scale: do you ask and allow strangers in your home? I am not against immigration. I am all for helping people out. I am for vetting, and protecting my home too. Does that make me a bad person?

FYI my grandfather and his brother where orphans that made the trip at a young age alone too. Right after WW1.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Abe you and i have spoken personally on several occasions and i know the same is true of you as well. You have a big heart and you would not turn your back on a child washing up on a beach hungry and alone. Sorry when you call them invaders it strikes a chord. My brother just spent two months on the island of Lesvos aiding refugees and he said his heart was broken every day. All I'm saying is there are plenty of displaced folks that do not have a choice. Rant over.. going to play in the snow!

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Yeah I think invader is a bit strong and implies malicious intent. And those of you saying "this protest didn't affect me personally" don't understand the basic premise of protesting. It doesn't mean it is supposed to affect every single person. It is meant to draw attention to groups that feel their concerns are not being addressed in society the way they would like them to be. That's all. Terrorists do the same thing, creating headlines to draw attention to their cause. And sowing irrational fear in order to polarize and divide their opponents. Which is working quite well so far.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Abe you and i have spoken personally on several occasions and i know the same is true of you as well. You have a big heart and you would not turn your back on a child washing up on a beach hungry and alone. Sorry when you call them invaders it strikes a chord. My brother just spent two months on the island of Lesvos aiding refugees and he said his heart was broken every day. All I'm saying is there are plenty of displaced folks that do not have a choice. Rant over.. going to play in the snow!
John I get it. We are ALL immigrants, I know what it says at the Statue of Liberty. Please don't think I take what I am saying lightly. I feel we need to secure our perimeter, know who we let in, and protect OUR own. The deal is this for me, when you do it legally then you are OUR OWN.

And yes man it rips me apart inside when I read and see those things. Makes we weep for mankind.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
So if they are invaders, what are the people who hire them? Traitors? I do find the invader commentary a bit much; if our country is under attack how about some folks man the F up and join to stop the flood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts