Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found some info but wanted to see who has had a hose built as a replacement. I know they are NLA to buy new and I had the lower one rebuilt but the upper hose that comes from the compressor to the condenser is a bit different. Any advice how to approach this.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
I had a problem finding a hose for a 110 build. I ended up taking the hose to a line shop and had them just replace the rubber line.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. That helps to know it is possible to reuse the metal fittings. I hat type of hose shop did you take it to?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
I found a small shop that did hydro lines for tractors but he also did a/c lines. You have to cut off the clamp rings but he had the correct size hose and rings. The hard line fittings are not as common and I could not find anybody that would make up them up. As it turned out replacing the rubber lines was easy.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I had the line from the compressor to the evaporator, and the line from the evaporator to the receiver dryer rebuilt. I just gave them the old ones and they made me two new ones with new fittings. The new hoses were slightly larger because the originals are single barrier.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. So to those who have had the high pressure, the upper one from the compressor to the condenser, line rebuilt did the shops just have the proper fittings? Went to a shop today and they said it's going to be hard to find a fitting that will match the compressor on a 1997. So now we are trying to see about how to best make this work. Did your shops have the fittings?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I bought a kit from an online automotive AC site that has a crimper and you can buy the collars and hoses as well. For my '93 D110, I rebuilt all the rubber lines with this system and they all work fine so far. I was able to re-use all the old fittings as the hose can be carefully cut from them and then the fittings re-used. I assume your '97 would be the same.

So yes - they can re-use the fittings just be careful when you remove the old collars and hoses.

http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/hoserepair.html

AndrewT

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! After trying 6 places today finally found a shop in town that can reuse the fittings and replace the rubber hose. So we should be good. :)

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
FWIW, mine had leaks in the hard lines, not the rubber. The local a/c shop was able to make complete new lines for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts