Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scenarios: Hot day in the 30s (Celsius) going slow low gear up hill following other trucks through a trail in the bush.... Over a period of 15 min the needle slowly rises and finally verges on the red before I stop and let it cool.... Rad fluid comes out of the overflow (I.e. There is enough there) Engine fan turning. Small fan on front of rad not coming on that I can see... Is this stock? NO problems at all going highway speeds up long hills at high rpm. Any suggestions?

Possibly a side issue.... Air con pooped out after several stops to cool.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
The fact that it cooled off at highway speed sounds like a failing water pump to me. More airflow thru the radiator and higher engine RPM turning the failing water pump increased your engine cooling.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to maintain temp when idling or even cool off slightly when in a near overheat situation. Does that still sound like the water pump? And what about that auxiliary electric fan? Is that stock on 97s?

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
It seems to maintain temp when idling or even cool off slightly when in a near overheat situation. Does that still sound like the water pump? And what about that auxiliary electric fan? Is that stock on 97s?
Lets see what others say on the running hot, I still think it is the water pump. As for the little fan, that fan only turns on when your radiator/engine are about to reach critical mass (melt down) on a 97.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
off road= little to no airflow, possibility of obstruction, thermostat. I would look into cleaning/radiator recore. most common failure of our 20 yr old machines and most overlooked component until it fails.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I had this issue with my 97SW. Replacing my water pump solved my problem. My aux fan crapped out years ago and I decide to just remove it. I don't have problems cooling with the AC running. Temp gauge pegs at TDC and never moves. I also changed my vFan, hoses and tstat all at the same time. All these components had 110k so I felt it was worth the splurge given what over heating these engines does.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kay sounds like the water pump... Can I use a Buick part or do I need the Land Rover one?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't ever go with britpart or some crap like that.... But it is a Buick engine so isn't that more "original" than the Land Rover "repro" LOL.

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
It "was" a Buick engine for only a few years in the sixties. There are many, many more Rover versions of the engine than there ever were made by Buick.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it... Thought it might be easier to source a gm part here than a Land Rover one.... Any upgrades here or is stock the way to go?

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear Ya. Rock Auto I believe has cross referenced parts for the D. I'd probably support the indie Rover guy unless the price point is way out in left field somewhere.
I would love to unless I can get it locally...

Doesn't make sense to pay two sets of import duties...

<-- Canadian

Is there anything else I should do preventative/upgrade at the same time?

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
I disagree with the advice diagnosis above. if it cools fine @ highway speed then the water pump is circulating the coolant and air is being forced through the radiator and it cools. If its getting hot on a trail i would suspect the fan clutch not the water pump.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts