Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck starts and idles ok, no code. replaced fuel pump, fuel filter & stepper. replaced o2 sensors a few days prior to the problem, put the old ones back in, no change. engine dies if you attempt to rev it to fast. loses power, backfire at intake if you slowly accelerate. heading out on vacation tomorrow and sure would like to be able to drive it, so any help is appreciated. oh yeah,~165000 miles on the truck. thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Air leak!

I'd start with the big hose.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know it sounds stupid, but did you disconnect the battery? When I have stalling issues with mine, I disconnect the battery for about five minutes and all seems well.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just checked the hoses and disconnected the battery for a few minutes. hoses appear to be fine, I changed all the small ones about 6 months ago. anyway, no improvement. thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Have you got spark at each cylinder?

The other think could be timing ... they have a crank position sensor on a 97 ... is that OK?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haven't checked the CPS, gonna have to find it first. just weird to me that it idles fine and cranks right up. 'course, i'm no mechanic but I can take instruction pretty well. thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Also could be a vacuum advance issue ... I'm less familiar with the 97 ... but if it wasn't advancing that could cause the problem.

To be honest there are lots of things ... I often find I've dislodged something when working on the truck. Retrace what youve been working on and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
haven't checked the CPS, gonna have to find it first. just weird to me that it idles fine and cranks right up. 'course, i'm no mechanic but I can take instruction pretty well. thanks again
CPS is on the opposite side of the starter. Drivers side, low on the front of the "bellhousing" area...it's poking in toward the forward face of the flex plate.

But unless it's wibblling around in there loose, I doubt that's your problem.

Check the mechanical bits first...fuel / vacuum / wires & hoses...before hunting electronic gremlins.

...wtf do I know...I'm just the accountant here :)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Keith, looks like it will be the weekend before I can get back to it. first time it hasn't been on vacation with me since I bought it. appreciate the feedback.
Mike

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Not the cps, if it were you wouldn't be able to start it.

Check the usual, fuel, air filter, wires, plugs first.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Make sure to check the Main intake hose coming from the Mass air flow sensor to the plenum. Mine looked fine until I checked the bottom side of the hose and it was totally rotted out and full of holes. It would run fine in the city but as soon as I hit highway speeds up around 3,000 RPM it would cut out.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Make sure to check the Main intake hose coming from the Mass air flow sensor to the plenum. Mine looked fine until I checked the bottom side of the hose and it was totally rotted out and full of holes. It would run fine in the city but as soon as I hit highway speeds up around 3,000 RPM it would cut out. Just a thought.
x2 on this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since the 97 has the OBD II system, go by AutoZone (they have a loner tool program) or the like and borrow a code reader. The receptacle to plug it in is in front of the shifter, you lift out the small well there and it is under that next to the fuses. Running like it is may give you some codes to help pinpoint what is wrong. It may not throw it up immediately, but should after a couple of minute pop up with a code on the reader. Lots of codes will not illuminate the check engine light.

Does it smell, like unburnt mixture?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a code reader. no code showing. new fuel put in when I replaced the fuel pump, 93 octane non ethanol. problem started on my way home from work, just started running rough and lost power. originally changed the fuel filter and when that didn't work, checked fuel pressure, which was a little low at 36 psi, so I replaced the PITA fuel pump. still no change. hose from the MAS looks fine, but i'll go ahead and remove/check it. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks like I need an ECU or a shop that can repair mine. my local "European" repair shop determined that the ECU wasn't sending an input to a couple of the coils. He shipped the unit to a repair shop up north and they were not able to source replacement parts. been dead in the water for over two months now, so any/all help is really appreciated.

Mike Hall

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
looks like I need an ECU or a shop that can repair mine. my local "European" repair shop determined that the ECU wasn't sending an input to a couple of the coils. He shipped the unit to a repair shop up north and they were not able to source replacement parts. been dead in the water for over two months now, so any/all help is really appreciated. Mike Hall
Just buy another ECU. They probably stuck them in discos. No doubt someone who knows will chime in.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks Jason, pulling my hair out trying to figure out what will work. may just have to have the truck shipped to someone that's a little more Rover savvy than my local guy.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts