Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the stock radio out of my D90 and can't figure out for the life of me how to remove it :facepalm:! I have tried searching the service & repair manual, searching online, and even looking through the forums, all with no luck. The only instructions or examples I have been able to find are for disco's or defenders with the puma dash.

My radio is built into the cubby box and it doesn't look like there is enough room on each side to slip in stereo removal tools. I also tried to use a 2.5mm allen key to see if there are screws in the far left and far right holes, but no luck making contact with anything. Also tried a shoving a coat hanging in there to see if there was some type of release, but that didn't work either.

I know it can't be this difficult, I'm probably just over looking something that is obvious. I've attached a picture of my setup and would appreciate any insight!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
might just be seized? try just a tiny bit of lube down the holes and work the rods little by little ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on, I'll give that a shot.

Just to confirm, are there screws down in there or do I have a stereo that has some type of clip release system?

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
first take out the center insert so you can see the underside of the radio.

make sure that it isn't bolted to a bracket on the bottom

radios are usually held in with tongs on each side of the radio, and released by inserting thin metal on each side.

go slow and don't crack the center console,

Make sure to let us know how you made out

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
If the radio works I'd be interested in it. Mine is on it's last leg. Ha! I have to turn it on and drive with the volume turned down until it warms up. Takes like 5-10 mins before it sounds right.
fyi I've had mine serviced by Clarion many yrs ago and cost me $80 fee then. The 97 D90 model is PU9887BA. I can provide details for the service center if need as I have the old receipt/ticket. At the time they had refurbished models but doubt those are still taking shelf space.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
fyi I've had mine serviced by Clarion many yrs ago and cost me $80 fee then. The 97 D90 model is PU9887BA. I can provide details for the service center if need as I have the old receipt/ticket. At the time they had refurbished models but doubt those are still taking shelf space.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Thanks that's excellent info. If you can put your hands on those additional details I'm much appreciate it. I sent my original radio to Roverville and it was a nightmare experience. I'll never send them another.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I pulled the radio recently from my '97 SW. There are metal tabs attached to the body of the radio that bend outward to prevent the radio from being pulled straight out. I had to reach in and bend the tabs back against the body before I could pull the radio. I removed the cubby box insert to get at the body of the radio to bend the tabs. The tabs are meant to be bent.

Yes, I'm keeping my radio. I just pulled everything to clean.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ron, appreciate it! I'll take a go at it tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2017 12:19 AM ------

If the radio works I'd be interested in it. Mine is on it's last leg. Ha! I have to turn it on and drive with the volume turned down until it warms up. Takes like 5-10 mins before it sounds right.
Sounds good, I'm debating about doing an after market setup so I will let you know. If I decide to replace it, you'll be first to know!

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2017 12:21 AM ------

I pulled the radio recently from my '97 SW. There are metal tabs attached to the body of the radio that bend outward to prevent the radio from being pulled straight out. I had to reach in and bend the tabs back against the body before I could pull the radio. I removed the cubby box insert to get at the body of the radio to bend the tabs. The tabs are meant to be bent.

Yes, I'm keeping my radio. I just pulled everything to clean.
Dave
This is the exact information I was looking for, you and Ron are awesome! Thanks for the insight, I'll definitely tackle this tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is easy. I have removed mine many times. You need a tool that you can put door each of the two holes simultaneously. The tool presses on the release mechanism that then you can lift it from the bottom and gain access to release the connector blocks below and the radio antenna

1 - 10 of 10 Posts