Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, I have a wonderful '97 Defender 90, however, the original exhaust system needs replacing "cat back".

So...I have in mind the Borla stainless. Pricey but apparently good quality. Have any of you experienced the sound it delivers? I'm a bit concerned it will be loud. Also, the tail pipe goes straight to the back...could this get in the way of future mudflaps?

If the Borla get's a thumbs down, anyone ordred a "Land Rover" OEM muffler and pipe from RN?

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
I have had a borla for years and I like it but if I had to do it again I would either go stock or NRP. Borla looks best but NRP looks more stock.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recently replaced my stock exhaust with the NRP. It looks stock, except shinier, and sounds great. It's a really great tone.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I put a NRP stainless cats and muffler on mine and it gives a decent sound but not anything I would describe as aggressive or too loud. Performance did seem to pick up a bit as well. Had it in a year now and very happy with it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Exhaust

I went with a Magnaflow stainless setup from AB. So far so good, but it sounds a little racier/sportier than a flow master. Less truck and more sportscarish. No noticeable/perceptible drone at highway speeds yet as had been mentioned to me. I do keep the top off during the summer so everything is loud.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Borla looks cool and appears to be well made. I just did 400+ miles on the NYS Thruway in the last two days and I still hear the drone of the exhaust in my head. Around town it's fine - but get around 2,500-3,000 RPM and its gets to you after awhile. Otherwise it's got a nice throaty sound and for the most part doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Borla looks cool and appears to be well made. I just did 400+ miles on the NYS Thruway in the last two days and I still hear the drone of the exhaust in my head. Around town it's fine - but get around 2,500-3,000 RPM and its gets to you after awhile. Otherwise it's got a nice throaty sound and for the most part doesn't bother me.
Earplugs are needed. Especially if you're up against the median barrier. Going 80 mph up to and back from Maine had to be done with plugs in.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Just replaced my exhaust and kept it stock. Couldn't be happier. The stock unit is solid and well made, you can't go wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I'm in the NRP camp: good quality, good sound-it's pretty much all I've used on customer's 90's, 110's, Discovery's, and Series for years.
I also use them on my own Rovers, although I do find my Series NRP has a peculiar sound, but with no floor matting, who could really tell the difference!
I found the Borla too loud for my preferences.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
But I will say that the Borla has by far the best design if you plan to offroad at all, as it tucks up and behind the rear quarter for superior departure angle.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I have a new Borla, just replaced under warranty and I am not crazy about the sound of it. I don't hate it, but there are certain rpm ranges where it can get annoying. I liked the sound of the first Borla better somehow.

I will say Borla stands behind their product. My muffler developed a rattle, I called Borla, they asked for a photo of the muffler to make sure it wasn't damaged from impact. I emailed a photo from my phone, two days later a giant box was on my porch with a new cat back system. They didn't require any paperwork or that I send back the old muffler to make sure it was actually damaged. Easiest warranty transaction ever. They even threw a hat in the box.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much people. You have given me a lot to think about. I think I will get the oem muffler. On that note...is Atlantic British oem muffler the same as RN? Sometimes there is more than one supplier is all. Again thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Thanks so much people. You have given me a lot to think about. I think I will get the oem muffler. On that note...is Atlantic British oem muffler the same as RN? Sometimes there is more than one supplier is all. Again thanks!
Just so you know, you don't have to buy an OEM muffler. Muffler Shops can match what is in the truck. Supporting your local shops is a good thing and too much Rover parts kool-aid isn't healthy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone make a quieter one than stock OEM? Personally, I just can't stand the sound at all. My 94 3.9 is tuned just fine but sounds like a total beater to me.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
can you still get the oem exhaust? i have an aftermarket one on currently and it has seen better days
Yes, but the extra $ you pay can be spent in better places. Remember this is a simple GM V8. Nothing sexy other than the name plate. Take it to a good shop and have them explain the options they can offer. Buy quality material if you plan to own it for a long time. I wish I knew where to get the same material my family suburban came with. 13 years and 200k miles, same exhaust and muffler. Tailpipe still looks new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts